How do I re-create a VM using existing VHD after deleting it? RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new VM with a new OS on its drive (Windows Server 2012, I believe) and installed a simple program. Then, not wanting to incur undue charges/resources, I deleted the VM, seeing that the drive would be retained.

But now when I try to re-create the VM to attach it to the drive, I get a conflict between the name of the drive that it wants to create and my existing VM drive, even though I told it to use the existing drive instead of creating a new one. So I deleted the drive, keeping only the VHD. But now I can't see a way to re-create the VM on top of that VHD without re-creating a new VM drive in the process of re-creating the VM.

How is this supposed to work? How do get my VM back and linked to my existing OS drive?

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting your question here.

If you're using the portal, at the bottom of the page click all of these in sequence:

"+ NEW", "Compute", "Virtual Machine", "From Gallery", "My Disks", then select your VHD.

With that you should be able to recreate your VM from the existing VHD.

Let us know whether this works for you or if you're doing something different or if you just need some clarification.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by BlueMonkMN Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:23 AM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting your question here.

If you're using the portal, at the bottom of the page click all of these in sequence:

"+ NEW", "Compute", "Virtual Machine", "From Gallery", "My Disks", then select your VHD.

With that you should be able to recreate your VM from the existing VHD.

Let us know whether this works for you or if you're doing something different or if you just need some clarification.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by BlueMonkMN Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:23 AM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:30 AM
  • Strange, that didn't work the first 3 times I tried it (before having deleted the VM disk), but now that I've deleted the VM disk and re-created it based on the same VHD, it does allow me to create the VM based on an existing disk.

Unfortunately, now when I try to start it, I'm getting

The operation cannot be performed because the virtual machine is faulted. The long running operation tracking ID was: d9444369a18543c0ae71b800b6cb85b6.

I guess it'll be easier just to start from scratch.

• Edited by BlueMonkMN Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:29 AM Add error
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:23 AM