none
Best Practice for Re-Work RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a new schedule and updating another and am being asked to what the best way to show re-work. So example, lets say we get going through 20 or so tasks and on task 21 we find we must start over at task 7. What is the best practice to show this in the MS Project schedule.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:43 PM

Answers

• SmokeyJoe101,

Okay, so my suggestion of "closing" the test operation after the failure is what I consider best practice, that is all sunk cost. Then re-plan the operations from task 7 up through another test, including added tasking for failure analysis. If that also fails, repeat as necessary until the item passes test, or you determine that a whole new approach is needed.

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:20 PM

All replies

• SmokeyJoe101,

The best practice is the one that works for you. One of the questions to ask is, if task 7 must be started over, or re-structured, does that impact successor tasks that are in progress or perhaps already completed.

What you are describing is a change in scope. One approach is to set existing task 7 as complete and then create a new task that picks up the re-structured effort. Of course, you may also have to re-structure other tasks impacted by task 7.

Given the limited description you gave, I can't offer a definitive answer.

John

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:20 PM
  • Hey John

Better description

Lets say we are developing something and everything is going as planned.  Then is comes time for testing before they can move on.  But the test fails, so then they go back to a point in their development (Task 7 for example) and work back through their task in succession until the get back to testing (Task 21 for example)

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:07 PM
  • SmokeyJoe101,

Okay, so my suggestion of "closing" the test operation after the failure is what I consider best practice, that is all sunk cost. Then re-plan the operations from task 7 up through another test, including added tasking for failure analysis. If that also fails, repeat as necessary until the item passes test, or you determine that a whole new approach is needed.

John

• Marked as answer by SmokeyJoe101 Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:20 PM