none
Azure Migrate connect to vCenter Server error RRS feed

• Question

• Azure Migrate Collector that I deployed cannot to vCenter with following error:

Connection failed. Error: UnhandledException. Description: Internal error occured: System.IO.FileNotFoundException Message: Could not load file or assembly 'VMware.Vim, Version=6.5.1.378, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified..

I had verified that I can connect to vCenter from the collector using Power-CLI without issue.

Any idea what could be the issue?

• Edited by acchong Friday, March 2, 2018 9:51 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We have identified a bug that impacts a few customers. Please use the below steps to unblock or download the latest OVA from the project.

Instructions for deploying the hotfix

1. Download the hotfix from here
    2. To ensure that the downloaded hotfix is secure, open Administrator command window and run the following command to generate the hash for the ZIP file. The generated hash should match with the hash mentioned below:

C:\>CertUtil -HashFile <file_location> [Hashing Algorithm]
    (example usage C:\>CertUtil -HashFile C:\AzureMigrate\CollectorUpdate_release_1.0.9.5.zip SHA256)

Algorithm    : Hash Value
    MD5           : d969ebf3bdacc3952df0310d8891ffdf
    SHA1   : f96cc428eaa49d597eb77e51721dec600af19d53
    SHA256   : 07c03abaac686faca1e82aef8b80e8ad8eca39067f1f80b4038967be1dc86fa1

3. Copy the zip file to impacted Azure Migrate collector virtual machine (collector appliance)
    4. Right-click on the zip file and select Extract All…
    5. Right-click on Setup.ps1 and select Run with PowerShell and follow the instructions to install the update

Post this, you can launch the collector web app again or refresh an existing page. This will run through the Pre-requisites again and try and install the PowerCLI library once again.

We have seen this step also fail for a few customers. If it does, please run the below command.

Launch powershell (x86) as an administrator and run this command

C:\Program Files\ProfilerService\VMWare\Scripts\InstallPowerCLI.ps1

If you re-run the pre-requisites, they will now pass.

Friday, March 2, 2018 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have identified a bug that impacts a few customers. Please use the below steps to unblock or download the latest OVA from the project.

Instructions for deploying the hotfix

1. Download the hotfix from here
    2. To ensure that the downloaded hotfix is secure, open Administrator command window and run the following command to generate the hash for the ZIP file. The generated hash should match with the hash mentioned below:

C:\>CertUtil -HashFile <file_location> [Hashing Algorithm]
    (example usage C:\>CertUtil -HashFile C:\AzureMigrate\CollectorUpdate_release_1.0.9.5.zip SHA256)

Algorithm    : Hash Value
    MD5           : d969ebf3bdacc3952df0310d8891ffdf
    SHA1   : f96cc428eaa49d597eb77e51721dec600af19d53
    SHA256   : 07c03abaac686faca1e82aef8b80e8ad8eca39067f1f80b4038967be1dc86fa1

3. Copy the zip file to impacted Azure Migrate collector virtual machine (collector appliance)
    4. Right-click on the zip file and select Extract All…
    5. Right-click on Setup.ps1 and select Run with PowerShell and follow the instructions to install the update

Post this, you can launch the collector web app again or refresh an existing page. This will run through the Pre-requisites again and try and install the PowerCLI library once again.

We have seen this step also fail for a few customers. If it does, please run the below command.

If you re-run the pre-requisites, they will now pass.

Friday, March 2, 2018 1:23 PM
  • I've tried this hotfix and it does not work. I tried deploying the OVF, getting through the prereqs and when I get the error stated in the original post, closing the collector and installing the patch, but then reopening the collector tries to reinstall PowerCLI 6.5 and gives the error "VMware 6.5 PowerCLI installation failed". 

Redeploying the OVF and patching before ever installing PowerCLI during the prereq stage gives the same error.

MCP

Friday, March 2, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Thanks MCP for reporting the issue. Can you run this command on collector appliance to install powerCLI and let us know if that resolves the issue.

QQ: Is the collector appliance on which you are seeing this issue is domain joined?

Saturday, March 3, 2018 5:46 AM
  • Thanks MCP for reporting the issue. Can you run this command on collector appliance to install powerCLI and let us know if that resolves the issue.

QQ: Is the collector appliance on which you are seeing this issue is domain joined?

Yes, that did allow the install to go through and my collector is now functional. Thanks!

MCP

Monday, March 5, 2018 7:29 PM
  • Hi!,

I´m facing the exact same issue.

I have followed each of the above steps, but the issue persists. 

I can connect with powercli to Vcenter without issues.

Any ideas?.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by ldelcampo Monday, March 12, 2018 6:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ldelcampo Monday, March 12, 2018 6:14 PM
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

I found the issue. I was using and old PowerCli version. Installing the latest one (v10.0) solved the problem.

Thanks!

Monday, March 12, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Still doesn't work for me and i'm running the new version of the collector.

Version: 1.0.10.9 

Connection failed. Error: UnhandledException. Description: Internal error occured: System.IO.FileNotFoundException Message: Could not load file or assembly 'VMware.Vim, Version=6.5.1.378, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified..

I tried installing a bunch of different PowerCLI versions but it's still not working and even the latest one.

PS C:\Program Files\ProfilerService\VMWare\Scripts> Get-InstalledModule -Name VMware.PowerCLI | fl

Name                       : VMware.PowerCLI
    Version                    : 11.1.0.11289667

I think running "C:\Program Files\ProfilerService\VMWare\Scripts\InstallPowerCLI.ps1".

Doesn't work.

I'm stuck, please help.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:10 PM
  • Even I am facing same issue. 
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 9:09 AM
  • This issue could occur due to an issue with VMware PowerCLI installation. Follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Close all browser windows in the appliance, stop the Azure Migrate Collector service (Go to Windows > Run > Services.msc to open Service Manager
    2. Uninstall/delete VMware* modules from following folders and restart the WebApp. It will automatically pull the required version of PowerCLI modules on start
    • C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules  // delete VMware* folder from this location
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\Modules            //delete VMware* folder from this location
    • Install PowerCLI using the below command:

Install-Module "VMWare.VimAutomation.Core" -RequiredVersion "6.5.2.6234650" -AllowCobbler

4. Restart the Azure Migrate Collector Service

We have a new version of Azure Migrate now available that does not have dependency on PowerCLI and also a lot of enhancements, if it is possible to download a new appliance and start from scratch, we recommend that you start with the new version.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/migrate-services-overview#azure-migrate-versions

Sneha Agrawal

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:28 AM