none
Normalization issues with Azure ML RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Neural Network regression and my scored model is normalized. So now when I deploy it and want to test with with other random data I cant as they are they  are non normalized.Is there is a way around it? 
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If your trained data is normalized, then you should normalize your test data as well. That is because your model works on the representation given by its input vectors. The scale of those numbers is part of the representation. This is a bit like converting between feet and metres . . . a model or formula would work with just one type of unit normally.

Not only do you need normalisation, but you should apply the exact same scaling as for your training data. That means storing the scale and offset used with your training data, and using that again. A common beginner mistake is to separately normalise your train and test data.

Regards,

Yutong

Friday, February 1, 2019 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If your trained data is normalized, then you should normalize your test data as well. That is because your model works on the representation given by its input vectors. The scale of those numbers is part of the representation. This is a bit like converting between feet and metres . . . a model or formula would work with just one type of unit normally.

Not only do you need normalisation, but you should apply the exact same scaling as for your training data. That means storing the scale and offset used with your training data, and using that again. A common beginner mistake is to separately normalise your train and test data.

Regards,

Yutong

Friday, February 1, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Thank You 

Friday, February 1, 2019 4:19 PM