none
Installer dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm busy with programming a program for a school project of mine.

Because i wan't this piece of software to work on all 64-bit computers i've made a simple installer using the microsoft form installer package. However, everything works fine appart from the dependencies.

I need it to install vcruntime140.dll and MSVCP140.dll (not sure if i need some more but these are the ones i know i need), these are ofcourse already on my system because i got visual studio and the needed plugins.

The installer also sometimes detects these dll files with some others and puts it in the detected dependencies folder.

So the issue is that it doesn't always detect these and when it does and i build the solution they are gone and the installer doesn't install them.

How can i fix this issue?

Thank you!

Monday, May 14, 2018 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm busy with programming a program for a school project of mine.

Because i wan't this piece of software to work on all 64-bit computers i've made a simple installer using the microsoft form installer package. However, everything works fine appart from the dependencies.

I need it to install vcruntime140.dll and MSVCP140.dll (not sure if i need some more but these are the ones i know i need), these are ofcourse already on my system because i got visual studio and the needed plugins.

The installer also sometimes detects these dll files with some others and puts it in the detected dependencies folder.

So the issue is that it doesn't always detect these and when it does and i build the solution they are gone and the installer doesn't install them.

How can i fix this issue?

Thank you!

Turns out in the prerequisites there is the Visual C++ runtime libaries, i'm assuming i need those :D thanks anyway
    Monday, May 14, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

>>So the issue is that it doesn't always detect these and when it does and i build the solution they are gone and the installer doesn't install them.

How did you add the dll as the dependency? Which technology did you use?

I'm not sure if the way you used to add dependency is correct, please refer to the following document:

How to: Create and Remove Project Dependencies

Also I'm not clear what do you mean "it doesn't always detect these", please provide more details for it.

Regards,

Frankie

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:57 AM
  • I just want to add that I am having this same problem.  I am using version 0.9.2 of the MS Visual Studio Installer Projects.  I've got a fairly straightforward MFC program which has dependencies on mfc140.dll, vcruntime140.dll, and a handful of api-ms-win-crt-*.dll's.

After maybe about 3 dozen installer build attempts, I have had exactly one instance where the dependencies were included in the installer build.  Every once in a blue moon, the program will detect the dependencies, but then when I do the build of the installer, they disappear from the list of detected dependencies and are not included in the build.  It seems to be random as to what causes the dependencies to magically show up on those rare occasions.

I know that I need the dependencies, because I get an error trying to run the program after install on a different machine (cannot find xxx.dll), and the one instance where the dependencies were included, I was successfully able to run the program.

This has been extremely frustrating!  Has anybody else seen this, or is there anything I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

MilwaukeeBob, did you find any solution to this problem? I have the exact same with version 0.9.3. I have a native C++ project with QT. Once every now and then the setup-project finds the dependencies and packages them, but most of the times it doen't find any of them. This applies to both the QT-DLLs and DLLs from Visual Studio.

Erlend

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:20 PM