SysListView32 mouse selecting bug after Windows 10 - Fall Update RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft 

You know you can use the api CreateWindowEx to create a 'SysListView32'.

If you have created a listview with API, then set it to large icons, or details mode.
    Now add 100 items to the listview so that you will get a vertical and or horizontal scrollbar.
    Then scroll to middle of the listview.

Try to select items, you will notice the Listview will move the mouse cursor to the lower corner or top of the screen.

This happened after the Fall Creators Update (of october 2017) version 1709.

The component that Microsoft updated to point you in the direction is 'mscomctl.dll' which has the bug.

(since Windows XP, up to vista, 7, 8, and 10 (before the Fall update) this always worked perfect.

You can try this bug with WinRar, WinZip, 7zip, of any program that using a Listview (SysListView32).

Just add enough items to the listview to get scrollbars, scroll to middle, try to select multiple items, and voila, the mouse starts to move by itself all over the screen.

I've tested this bug on 4 different Windows 10 machines before and after Fall update.
    On 7z forums (which is another proggy i use) they have the same problem).
    Ive also tested it myself with WinRar and WinZip. both also having this bug.

Please fix this bug as soon as possible, my software relies heavily on the SysListView32 like a lot of other software.

Kindly regards,

Michiel

Netherlands

Saturday, November 4, 2017 11:26 PM

All replies

• If you have created a listview with API, then set it to large icons, or details mode.
    Now add 100 items to the listview so that you will get a vertical and or horizontal scrollbar.
    Then scroll to middle of the listview.
    Try to select items, you will notice the Listview will move the mouse cursor to the lower corner or top of the screen.
    This happened after the Fall Creators Update (of october 2017) version 1709.

I've got the current latest build 17025 and can't reproduce the problem.

Has anyone who could reproduce this problem tried B17025?

Dave

Sunday, November 5, 2017 2:46 PM
  • After some more researching: 

Even Microsoft "Windows Explorer" (only Windows 10 Fall update 1709) itself is having this bug (which is also using the SysListView32 component)

Test it yourself. Just go to your ''My computer'' and then go to a folder that has a lot of icons so that scrollbars will be visible.

Then scroll to middle, or just a little down with the scrollbars or mousewheel,

Then try to select multiple files by mouse, and voila. The mouse will go all over the screen by itself.

Good luck fixing this as soon as possible.

Im happy this is also in the Windows Explorer itself so that it will be fixed soon.

Why Microsoft did not see this bug at testing phase is mayble because if no scrollbar are visible it works good. - It will work (sometimes) also if your at the top of the listview and then select multiple files, but as soon as you scroll down in the list, and you try to select multiple files the mouse starts to move all over the screen)

I've tested this on 4 totally different Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) computers.

Before the Fall Creators update, down to Windows XP this always was working perfect.

Sunday, November 5, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Dear David,

Could you try with 'Windows Explorer' itself, it has the same bug as in my latest post.

I've simple used 'Windows Update' to get the update. i did not use any options like 'fast ring'.

Just default options to get the Fall (1709) update.

Kindly regards,

Michiel

• Edited by Michiel123 Sunday, November 5, 2017 3:27 PM added more details
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 3:24 PM
  • >Test it yourself. Just go to your ''My computer'' and then go to a folder that has a lot of icons so that scrollbars will be visible.

You mention "icons", does it matter what view the listview control is in? I normally only ever use details mode - but having now
    tried other modes, I still can't reproduce this problem with B17025, and I don't recall encountering it with 1709 when I had it.

All I can suggest is that you report it from your computers using the Feedback Hub.

Dave

Sunday, November 5, 2017 3:40 PM
  • The bug occurs with build: 16299.19

I will try your ''Insiders update'' tonight which is version B17025.

Prolly microsoft already fixed it for you guys, but only if you are using the insiders build. Not the default Fall Creators update that microsoft shows at regular Windows Update screen

Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Can confirm.

So annoying, can't use 7-ZIP properly because of this.

Windows 10 Enterprise N 1709 (16299.19).

Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:23 PM
  • Ive tested this bug with Windows Insider version 1709 (17025.1000).

With the Windows 'File Explorer' from Windows itself the bug has been fixed.

BUT.

Its not fixed for RarLab.com (winrar), or WinZip, or 7z, or any non-microsoft software that using the SysListView32 object.

Lets hope Microsoft soon fixes this too. Because this is a very nasty bug. And shouldnt be in it.

Because from Windows XP all the way up to Windows 10 (before the Fall creators update) this worked perfect to select multiple items in a listview.

• Edited by Michiel123 Monday, November 6, 2017 12:09 AM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 12:08 AM
  • To test this bug easy. Just go to rarlab.com , and get the free WinRar proggy and install it.

Then add like 100 small files to a RAR file.

Then open the RAR file you just created with WinRar.

Scroll to middle of the list, then try to select multiple files.

You will see that your mouse will start to go automaticly to top or bottom of your screen (selecting any items it can find underway). If you then try to move the mouse, you see its actually resisting (it wants to stay at bottom or top)

I've tested this on a fresh Windows 10 Fall Creator installation ISO. Version 17025.1000, and also with version 16299.19

• Edited by Michiel123 Monday, November 6, 2017 12:33 AM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 12:18 AM
  • Hi Michiel,

thanks for posting here.

For this case, I suggest you connect to Microsoft and post this issue on it. Or click Help->Send Feedback->Report a Problem in your vs.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,
    Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 6:10 AM
  • But this is not a bug in Visual Studio only.

This is a Windows 10 Fall Creators update bug.

Before the Fall update all the way down to Windows XP this problem never occured.

That is what im trying to explain.

Ive created a more detailed document here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/important-syslistview32-bug-with-multiple-items/9e6198f7-a38a-4614-bc89-4781a9bde748?tm=1509985739913

Sunday, November 12, 2017 11:33 AM
  • I, too, have experienced bizarro mouse behaviour of the Listview with my own app (as well as elsewhere mentioned above with 7 zip etc).

Click a region someway to the left of a RH vertical scrollbar (if it exists) and a dotted "cropping" rectangle will briefly appear before the mouse cursor is immediately repositioned on the RH edge of the screen or the 0,0 point of a second monitor.

This may, or may not be related to a verified versioning issue of Commctrl.h where the Win10 version isn't evaluated correctly. Referred to MS via Visual Studio, and will post on any developments.

A natural, B flat, C sharp, D compile

• Edited by LaurieSt Friday, March 9, 2018 3:46 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 11:26 AM