The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Migrating Windows Server 2003 R2 to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I Know Windows Server 2003 is not supported by MS. but I still wonder if its do-able and possible to upload a VHD with the OS and make it work on Azure. does anyone succeeded or failed while trying to do that?

really appreciate your co-op.

Thanks,

Dan 

Saturday, June 8, 2013 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Norbert,

recently I tried uploading Server 2003 as well and got it working.

the trick is to install Windows Management Core Package: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4045

which contains PowerShell 2.0 inside.

The installation of this package requires to update .net framework to 2.5 if I am not mistaking.

Don't forget to open RDP Ports in the firewall (or disable for tests), provide the administrator account a hard password and enable Remote Desktop.

are you familiar with the required steps to upload VHD to Azure?

of course we all should remember that Windows Server 2003 is not supported, but I got it working that way.

please update if it helped and vote for correct answer as well,

:)

Ori Husyt

If my answer helped, please vote or mark as correct :) Regards, Ori Husyt

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Are these on-premises VMs that you are looking to upload in Azure? What type of workload are they running?

As you mentioned, Windows Server 2003 is not a supported OS version for the Virtual Machines feature. The product team does not do any testing with Windows Server 2003 running as a guest OS in Azure. Even if you managed to get it working in some limited scenario, I would hate to see people paint themselves in a corner where they then need support on it and none is available.

Microsoft server software support for Windows Azure Virtual Machines
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721672

Thanks,
    Craig

Saturday, June 8, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Currently its on test. I tried to upload a VHD with a clean Windows Server 2003 R2 but seems its not really working.

the workload of the future production migration we would do is a old work hour report system which works with an old SQL version.

I've uploaded the VHD as a disk and created a virtual machine based on Windows OS of course. its looks like it is getting stuck on the Provisioning step when getting the machine ready.

so to conclude, i still want to know if its possible. right now i understand completely that i wont have anyone to refer to when i will have a problem.

Thank you for helping,

Dan

Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Please update us if you have any news. We are in the same situation. We need some Windows Server 2003 R2 servers for testing an SQL upgrade and it would be great to deploy them in Azure.

Thanks,

Norbert

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi Norbert,

recently I tried uploading Server 2003 as well and got it working.

the trick is to install Windows Management Core Package: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4045

which contains PowerShell 2.0 inside.

The installation of this package requires to update .net framework to 2.5 if I am not mistaking.

Don't forget to open RDP Ports in the firewall (or disable for tests), provide the administrator account a hard password and enable Remote Desktop.

are you familiar with the required steps to upload VHD to Azure?

of course we all should remember that Windows Server 2003 is not supported, but I got it working that way.

please update if it helped and vote for correct answer as well,

:)

Ori Husyt

If my answer helped, please vote or mark as correct :) Regards, Ori Husyt

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Hi I plan to upload a 2008R2 vhd and a 2003 vhd to Azure this weekend. I am unclear of the steps necessary to completed this task. I have prepped both machine's. windows 2003 has the windows core installed as you described. the 2008r2 has been upgraded to .net 4, powershell3, and azure poweshell.

I also created and uploaded a self signed cert for our internal IIS server and imported to Azure and the local machine I plan to ues for the vhd upload process.

I need step by step examples of the syntax used to copy the vhd to azure and conncet the drive to a azure vm.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:12 AM
  • Hi Ori,

Recently I can ran Windows Server 2003 in Azure using the method that you comment. But I did that uploading and aprovisioning a DISK, if a try to do that as IMAGE from GALLERY, previously running SYSPREP in my Windows Server 2003 VHD at the moment to create the VM in Azure just stay in the phase APROVISIONING... My procedure is:

1)Extract/Convert Server 2003 VHD from Server On-Premise (Physical/VM);

2)Upload the VHD to Azure with the properly Command (Add-AzureVHD);

3)Open Portal/VMs/IMAGES/Create;

4)Naming the Image/Add a Description/Find the Image Previously Uploaded in a Container/Check SYSPREP/Select The Type of OS (Windows);

5)Initiate the process... But just create the VM and not aprovisioning the S.O.;

6)Windows Azure Portal Returns TIME TO WAIT EXPIRED in the phase of APROVISIONING.

Can you help me please? What can I do for run a IMAGE of Windows Server 2003.

Regards! :)

Sunday, September 8, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Hi Nobert, I tried installing Win mgmt core after installing .net 2.0.. But no luck.

My requriement is to migrate Windows Server 2003 VM to azure using MVMC and ASR.
    Queries:-
    *Does ASR support mirgration/DR of Server 2003 to Azure?
    *We have used MVMC for conversion of server 2003 VMDK to VHD and was able to upload to azure successfully, Machine is up and running, however, we are not able to RDP into the machine. Need urgent help here.
    Note:
    We had created same serve using the VHD on-premise and we are able to RDP into the server.
    Thanks in Advance

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:18 AM
  • Hi Ori,

Thank you for the help, this worked for me. Do you know how it works and why it works? 

Thanks!

Nate

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:55 PM
  • hey guys I installed the package above 

""the trick is to install Windows Management Core Package: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4045"

but my machine loads OK into Azure but I have no RDP or ping, I cannot ping the server and firewall is completely off and ping and RDP work OK on premises 

any idea?

thanks

Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:52 PM
  • Hello,

Has anybody got this 32bit Windows 2003 to work in Azure?

I have also this problem that the virtual machine  goes up, but does not answer. Tried also with locally installed Hyper-V integration components (this also changed the network adapter from legacy Intel to Hyper-V adapter).

Boot diagnostics also ok. 

Serial console connected, but no login prompt, serial port enabled in the OS.

My process was this.

Create a bootable ISO installation media.
    Install Windows 2003 virtual machine to Hyper-V (generation 1) from ISO.
    Install SP2 and all updates and prepare/configure OS for Azure.
    Convert VHDX to fixed size VHD.
    Upload VHD to Azure.
    Convert VHD to a managed disk.
    Deploy Azure VM from a managed disk.

But I cannot connect to the server. Tried to add also a public IP, but did not help. I can see that it still generates some inbound network traffic.

Do you have any information, or maybe Microsoft changed something? This is my first time to try Windows 2003 in Azure.

Sunday, May 19, 2019 2:39 AM
  • @Sami and @Karloschacon :

Did you try to install another machine in Azure on the same subnet (using a default Azure template), and connect from this new PC to the Win2003 server ?

This could eliminate issues linked to internetworking

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:12 AM
  • Hello, I know this is a long time ago, but can you remember what you meant by "the trick"?

Much to my surprise I have been able to migrate an old (2006) WIndows Server 2003SP2 machine into an Azure VM but can't RDP into it. It would be a shame to get this far without being able to get any further...

Many thanks for any help,

Andy

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:33 AM
  • You can find more information about Azure's support of Windows 2003 Here

It is possible to get a Server 2003 VM running on Azure, but the Azure Agent will not work on the VM. This means that Diagnostics, Health reporting, and extensions will not work. 

As a starting place, make sure the VM responds to ping or some sort of connectivity. Just because you can create the VM does not mean that it will boot. 

It is highly encouraged to migrate the OS to a more recent version if possible. 

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:36 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the reply Travis, I think it must be some sort of networking issue - the Boot diagnostics tab shows it is booted up and I can see the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete" welcome screen - so near, but yet so far...

(I can't attach the screenshot as my account doesn't seem to be verified yet)

KR,

Andy

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:55 PM