Looking for quick options so that SSAS Multi-dimension cubes can be accessed from home over internet without VPN? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have around 17 SSAS Multidimensional cubes on-premise on SQL Server 2016.

Looking for quick options so that SSAS Multi-dimension cubes can be accessed from home over internet without VPN when the users work from home...? 

Note: Most of the users are accessing cubes though spreadsheet. SSRS Paginated, SSRS Mobile and Power BI Reports are ok and VPN is not required to access these reports. 

Moving our cubes to Cloud will help..? 

I know Azure does not have SSAS Multidimensional as SaaS but Tabular is SaaS. Migrating from SSAS Multi to SSAS tabular will be time consuming and can't be done in a day or 2. 

Moving SSAS Multi Cubes on Azure VM can be quick but again to access the Cubes users need to use VPN.

Any suggestions..?

https://support.jetglobal.com/hc/en-us/articles/219401317-Enabling-OLAP-Cubes-Over-the-Internet

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:13 AM

All replies

• I am not familiar with the SSAS tool, but If VPN is not an option for on-prem, you will have 2 options:

1) Keep the app on-prem and open it to the public internet by forwarding a port from your company's public IP

2) Move the server to Azure. 

Once on a VM in Azure, your Employees will still need to connect. In Azure, it is easy to expose the app to the internet via a Public IP. If the users need to be on the same network as the VM, you can set up a Point to Site VPN in your Azure VNET for your employees to connect to. 

There are obviously security ramifications if you have your app exposed to the public internet, and depending upon the number of people who need to connect, individual IPs can be whitelisted using Network Security Groups (NSGs)

Please let me know if you need any additional clarification or information. 

Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:20 PM