none
Office 365 Admin Centre - Site Collection - Change Permission Mode RRS feed

• Question

• One of our IT support colleagues recently provisioned additional instances of Project Online for us to have as a Test, Archive and Training instances of PWA. I forgot to mention having Project Permissions instead of the default SharePoint permissions mode.

It looks like the appearance of the Office 365 Admin Centre has changed a lot since I last delved into that space.

I have just spent 40 minutes with an IT support colleague making the changes to permissions mode on all 3 instances, we spent the first 25 minutes trying to track down where Site Collections were. It was only when we switched to "Classic Mode" that things became more familiar to me and we were able to quickly and easily change the permissions mode on all 3 instances.

i have had a quick search online but cannot find a suitable explanation, the official guide from Microsoft makes reference to the site collection being accessed in what I regard as "Classic Mode" - how can the same thing be accessed in the "current mode"?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

• Edited by Dominic Moss Monday, April 20, 2020 8:17 AM added URL
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

Note that since a while, you can switch permission mode directly from PWA Server Settings.

See this article from my blog:

http://psbehindthescene.blogspot.com/2019/02/project-online-permission-mode-directly.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Monday, April 20, 2020 9:00 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:40 AM
  • Cher Guillaume,

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge. I hadn't realised that this change had been made. I have just checked and can see the option on the Additional Server Settings page as described in your Blog article.

I note there was a comment from someone else saying that this option is only available to Site Collection Administrators. I am pretty sure that I am not a Site Collection Administrator on all of the instances that we have. Was that comment correct?

Whilst your advice resolves my issue is it likely that users may need access to the Site Collection options for other reasons and if that is the case is reverting to Classic Mode still the only way to locate these options for a Site Collection in SharePoint Online? Site Collection Options for PWA

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, April 20, 2020 9:07 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

Indeed, like you, I didn't find a way to access tenant settings with the modern UI so I always switch to classic mode.

For the first question, I think that this setting is accessible in PWA Server settings as soon as you are PWA admin (no ste collection admin).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, April 20, 2020 9:28 AM
  • Cher Guillaume,

Thanks for your further advice on this topic, I am a member of the Administrators security group so the option is visible to me. 

Someone who is defined as an Administrator when a new instance is provisioned with SharePoint permissions will be able to see the Additional Server Settings option within Server Settings to make this change. That at least is a lot easier than trying to find Site Collection settings in the SharePoint Online Admin Centre.

I appreciate your advice that you use Classic Mode when accessing the SharePoint Online Admin Centre, is there really no other way to access this element of the solution? There must be plenty of users out there who try to locate something as documented like my colleague did and spend valuable time getting nowhere because of the inconsistency in the interface between current and classic.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, April 20, 2020 9:49 AM