none
Can you turn off automatic calculation of duration, work, units at the task level? RRS feed

• Question

• I understand you can set a task to one of three choices: fixed duration, fixed work, or fixed units.  And then if one of those changes, the others are automatically recalculated as explained here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-project-schedules-tasks-behind-the-scenes-df3431ab-8d8a-4047-afc6-a87b547dbac0#__toc312058388

I have a project too complex for these decisions to be made automatically.  I need to be able to change anything, the duration, resources, or units of resources assigned to an individual task, without having anything else be automatically recalculated.

I have turned off the effort driven setting.

I still want the critical path automatically calculated of course.  So I don't want to turn off auto calculation for the whole project.  Just turn off the auto calculation of task duration, work, or units when I change one of these at the task level.

Is this possible?

Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:36 PM

Answers

• I think I might have found a way.

I set the task to "Fixed duration" and with Effort Driven checked off.  Then when I changed the resources, adding resources and changing the allocation percentages, a "!" indicator showed up in the Indicators column.  When I clicked that, the following message was displayed:

You changed the hours resources work per day (units). Do you want to:
    o Change the duration but keep the amount of work the same.
    o Change the amount of work but keep the duration the same.

I selected the second option.  It accepted the updates I made without changing anything else.

Am I missing something or should this work?

For context, this is a realistic requirement as planning cycles iterate and the team changes their initial plans, before the baseline.  For example, the team tells me there is a task of 10 days, with two resources at 100%.  I put that task in, and we all look at the resulting schedule.  However, as is often the case as the plan is iterated and improved during the planning cycle, the team then tells me they still plan on taking 10 days for the task, but one of the resources is only needed at 50%.  I make that change.  I do not want the duration to change.

Or, alternatively, they tell me the resource allocation is fine, but realize it will take an extra 5 days.  I enter that, and do not want the resource allocation to change.

(What I want to avoid of course is having to create a brand new task if the plans change, enter the new plans from the team, link it up like the old task, and then delete the old task.  I think the solution at the top of this post should meet what I want to do?)

• Edited by WS1962 Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:49 PM Formatting
    • Marked as answer by WS1962 Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:23 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:48 PM

All replies

• WS1962 --

No, it is not possible to disable the automatic calculation of Units, Work, and/or Duration.  Your expectation is simply not how the software works.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:03 PM
  • I think I might have found a way.

I set the task to "Fixed duration" and with Effort Driven checked off.  Then when I changed the resources, adding resources and changing the allocation percentages, a "!" indicator showed up in the Indicators column.  When I clicked that, the following message was displayed:

You changed the hours resources work per day (units). Do you want to:
    o Change the duration but keep the amount of work the same.
    o Change the amount of work but keep the duration the same.

I selected the second option.  It accepted the updates I made without changing anything else.

Am I missing something or should this work?

For context, this is a realistic requirement as planning cycles iterate and the team changes their initial plans, before the baseline.  For example, the team tells me there is a task of 10 days, with two resources at 100%.  I put that task in, and we all look at the resulting schedule.  However, as is often the case as the plan is iterated and improved during the planning cycle, the team then tells me they still plan on taking 10 days for the task, but one of the resources is only needed at 50%.  I make that change.  I do not want the duration to change.

Or, alternatively, they tell me the resource allocation is fine, but realize it will take an extra 5 days.  I enter that, and do not want the resource allocation to change.

(What I want to avoid of course is having to create a brand new task if the plans change, enter the new plans from the team, link it up like the old task, and then delete the old task.  I think the solution at the top of this post should meet what I want to do?)

• Edited by WS1962 Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:49 PM Formatting
    • Marked as answer by WS1962 Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:23 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:48 PM
  • WS1962 --

When you do not want to change when you are changing either the Units or Work values for the resources assigned to the task, then you are correct in using the Fixed Duration setting for Task Type.  In a sense, this action "locks" the Duration so that it will not change.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:26 PM