none
Synthetic Transaction Monitoring in APP InSight RRS feed

• Question

• Does App Insight offers feature of synthetic transaction monitoring?

Please advise.

Thanks!!

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:55 AM

Answers

• If you want to monitor some api of your app, there is no need of using application insights synthetic transaction (availabiity monitoring). Follow regular monitoring doc for your language - and it will monitor all requests to the application. (including synthetic requests, if any)

Application Insights availability monitoring can be thought of checking the availability of your application from a set of locations , by sending a synthetic request to at every pre def intervals.

• Marked as answer by diligent1 Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:01 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:19 AM
  • Hello Diligent1, 

Log Analytics : 

It is possible to send the logs to Log Analytics by using either of the below options :

1. HTTP Data Collector API
    2.  Custom Logs in Azure Monitor

Application Insights :

It might be possible to send the logs to App Insights by writing a custom code but its easier to send it log Analytics and enable App Insights after integrating it, because there is lot of mapping happens in the back-end among different types of telemetries from the application it is configured with before it actually sends it to App Insights, which is not possible if you import it from any type of source. 

I hope this information helps. 

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:43 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello Diligent1, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

Yes, Application Insights offer Synthetic Transaction Monitoring. 

• Synthetic Transaction is an automated process and not the traffic generated by user.

• By default Application Insights captures Synthetic Traffic. 

• Once you run the app, it will generate the Synthetic traffic on your requests or pageviews, then you can filter the Synthetic traffic from Application Insights resource using "Source of Synthetic Traffic" and Synthetic Monitored" filters.

• Availability Monitoring is also a Synthetic Traffic which is generated by Application Insights API. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to revert back with any questions you might have. 

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:05 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Monika,

Thanks !!

So when App Insight is integrated with application via SDK, post that app insight performs the synthetic transaction. Please correct me 

In case I want to perform action on the page as part of the synthetic transaction, is that provided/supported as part of custom implementation for java applications.

Regards !!

• Edited by diligent1 Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:15 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:11 AM
  • Hello Diligent1, 

• It doesn't matter if the application is integrated via SDK or not, the application insights does offer Synthetic Transactions. SDK's telemetry will be tagged as Synthetic so you can distinguish Real traffic from Synthetic Traffic. 

• Application Insights is language independent. So it should perform the Synthetic transactions for java applications as well.

When you say perform action on the page? Can you elaborate as to what type of actions are you planning to perform? 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to revert back to me if you have any further questions. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you so it would beneficial for other community members.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:59 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Monika,

For an example, if I want to monitor (synthetic transaction) an api fetching oauth code, how can I achieve this ?

Thanks !!

Monday, November 4, 2019 11:17 AM
  • If you want to monitor some api of your app, there is no need of using application insights synthetic transaction (availabiity monitoring). Follow regular monitoring doc for your language - and it will monitor all requests to the application. (including synthetic requests, if any)

Application Insights availability monitoring can be thought of checking the availability of your application from a set of locations , by sending a synthetic request to at every pre def intervals.

• Marked as answer by diligent1 Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:01 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:19 AM
  • Thank you Cijo Thomas for providing more insights into this.

Hi @Diligent1,

I hope you found the solution you were looking for. 

Please feel free to revert back to us if you have any further questions or let us know if the issue is resolved for you. 

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:24 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Monika/ Cijo,

Thanks for the clarification !!

I have a question:-

I have bunch logs generated by the "application(any) not yet integrated with Azure App Insight SDK", below are my questions.

a) Is it possible to push these logs to App Insight Log Analytics ?

b) If yes, please direct me to necessary steps.

Thanks !!

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Hello Diligent1, 

Log Analytics : 

It is possible to send the logs to Log Analytics by the below options :

2. Custom Logs in Azure Monitor 

Application Insights :

It might be possible to send the logs to App Insights by writing a custom code but its easier to send it log Analytics and enable App Insights after integrating it, because there is lot of mapping happens in the back-end among different types of telemetries from the application it is configured with before it actually sends it to App Insights, which is not possible if you import it from any type of source. 

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:24 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Diligent1, 

Log Analytics : 

It is possible to send the logs to Log Analytics by using either of the below options :

2.  Custom Logs in Azure Monitor

Application Insights :

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:43 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Monika,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information.

Thanks !!

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:00 PM
  • Hello Dilgent1, 

I am glad I was able to help you resolve your issue and clarification. Please feel free to reach back out if you have any further questions. 

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:08 PM
    Owner