none
How to backup Azure Data Lake Gen2 storage RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find any page that even mentions ADL Gen2 backup, not even the official Microsoft Docs. The Azure Recovery Services Fault is not able to backup this as well. In this way we cannot use it for production in my opinion.

Any idea's? How should I backup it?

Monday, July 1, 2019 8:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Erjen,

Microsoft will take care about Azure Storage replication depending on what you choose while creating. That’s the reason, you will not find any option to backup Azure Data Lake Gen2 storage.

The below is an excellent image that describes the four replication options available with Azure Blob Storage which is also available for ADLS Gen2.  Notice the SLA which is a guarantee of the percentage of time Azure will successfully process requests to read data or write data from storage.  Also notice the durability, which specifies the chances of losing data, which is incredibly small.

By default, Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 already handles 3x replication under the hood to guard against localized hardware failures. Additionally, other replication options, such as ZRS improve HA while GRS & RA-GRS improve DR. When building a plan for HA, in the event of a service interruption the workload needs access to the latest data as quickly as possible by switching over to a separately replicated instance locally or in a new region.

For more details, refer “Best practices for using Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2”.

Hope this helps.

Monday, July 1, 2019 10:55 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.
    That's failover, not backup. How can I restore data for example.
    So my question is not answered.
    Monday, July 1, 2019 10:57 AM
  • Hi Erjen,

Backup for ADLS Gen2 is on our roadmap.

• Marked as answer by Erjen Rijnders Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:13 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Hello, any update/development on ADLS Gen2 Backup?? replication method would not protect form user data deletion...what are my option if wanted to have backup to recover data in case of accidental data deletion?

Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Backup for ADLS Gen2 is on our roadmap.

Meanwhile you can use soft delete option in ADLS Gen2.

Multi-protocol data access for Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 will bring features like snapshots, soft delete, data tiering and logging that are standard in the Blob world to the filesystem world of ADLS Gen2.

Multi-protocol access on Data Lake Storage is in public preview and is available only in the West US 2 and West Central USregions. To review limitations, see the Known issues article. To enroll in the preview, see this page.

For more details, refer “Multi-protocol access on ADLS Gen2”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, September 2, 2019 4:13 AM
  • Hello Team,

Do you have any updates on ADLS Gen2 Backup? Soft Delete wont work once ADLS enabled 

Thank you

Rahul Ambhore

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

This is a roadmap item but don’t have concrete release dates to share. And Soft Delete not yet supported in ADLS Gen2.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:35 AM