none
Tabular Model Vs Multidimensional model RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Can some one share a good article with states the difference between Tabular Model & Multidimensional model with specific use cases.

Security , Vertipaq , compression I got from few but somehow not clear when to use what ?

thanks,

Sid

Monday, August 12, 2019 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Sid,

Please refer to below docs which has info about comparison between tabular and multidimensional solutions. 

Azure Analysis Services supports tabular models at the 1200 and higher compatibility levels. Tabular models are relational modeling constructs (model, tables, columns), articulated in tabular metadata object definitions in Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL) and Tabular Object Model (TOM) code. Partitions, perspectives, row-level security, bi-directional relationships, and translations are all supported*. Multidimensional models and PowerPivot for SharePoint are not supported in Azure Analysis Services.

Please feel free to up-vote an existing idea/suggestion which is under review in user voice forum to support Multidimensional models on Azure Analysis services. Up-voting existing idea will increase the priority of the feature request. 
    All the feedback shared in user-voice forum are reviewed by Azure Analysis Services product team and will take appropriate action.

Also, I would suggest to keep an eye on Azure updates. Azure updates provide information about important Azure product updates, roadmap, and announcements.

Hope this info helps.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Monday, August 12, 2019 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Sid,

Please refer to below docs which has info about comparison between tabular and multidimensional solutions. 

Azure Analysis Services supports tabular models at the 1200 and higher compatibility levels. Tabular models are relational modeling constructs (model, tables, columns), articulated in tabular metadata object definitions in Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL) and Tabular Object Model (TOM) code. Partitions, perspectives, row-level security, bi-directional relationships, and translations are all supported*. Multidimensional models and PowerPivot for SharePoint are not supported in Azure Analysis Services.

Please feel free to up-vote an existing idea/suggestion which is under review in user voice forum to support Multidimensional models on Azure Analysis services. Up-voting existing idea will increase the priority of the feature request. 
    All the feedback shared in user-voice forum are reviewed by Azure Analysis Services product team and will take appropriate action.

Also, I would suggest to keep an eye on Azure updates. Azure updates provide information about important Azure product updates, roadmap, and announcements.

Hope this info helps.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Monday, August 12, 2019 11:47 PM
  • hi, 

I realized Multidimensional is not supported in Azure Analysis Service today. How far down is this on the roadmap? Where can I find the information about to-be release features for each quarter in FY20? 

Thanks,

Ting

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi Tiste,

I have reached out to internal team to get info about your query. Will keep posted once I have an update from the team.

Also, regarding service general availability, I would suggest to keep an eye on Azure updates.
    Azure updates provide information about important Azure product updates, roadmap, and announcements.

Thank you

Friday, October 18, 2019 9:09 PM