none
R Support in Azure Machine Learning Services RRS feed

• Question

• Back when Azure ML Services were still in preview, we were told Microsoft was working first on Python implementations, then would also provide R interfaces. I haven't seen anything about R and Microsoft Machine Learning for months, and the new visual UI only supports Python. Has the Azure Machine Learning team abandoned R? If we want to use R, should we consider other options that do support R, for example Databricks?
    Monday, June 17, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Christos,

Thank you for your feedback here. From what I know, I don't thank Azure Machine Learning team abandoned R. I will check with the team for more details about expectation of R support.

Regards,

Yutong

Monday, June 17, 2019 4:42 PM
  • Hi Christos,

I have got the confirmation from Azure Machine Learning Services team: R language will come by the end of month. Please keep eyes on it. Thank you for your patient.

Regards,

Yutong

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:46 PM
  • This is the best news! I have been waiting for this since Machine Learning Services was first announced.

Cliff ZW

Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:05 AM
  • It would really be a bit unusual going without integration of R after Microsoft acquisition of Revolution Analytics.
    Especially taking into account possible point of no return after building up critical mass by market
    with Python adoption as ML standard (even DataBricks have Python as base language, only then R).

Power BI had R first, then Python added, SQL Server - R first, then Python (Azure SQL DB - only R so far).
    At first MS/AMLS got me a bit scared with "no future" prospects about choosing R technology as primary language.
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:59 PM
  • Its August 2.  Still hopeful to hear some encouraging news.

Cliff ZW

Friday, August 2, 2019 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

The R language modules has been deployed. 

Please check. IF you can not find it any way, please let us know.

Regards,

Yutong

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:23 PM
  • I was hoping to see R treated as thoughtfully and fully as Python.  Adding an R Execute module in the visual interface just as it is in Studio is minimal evidence of R support in Machine Learning Services.

For the 7th company I have advised (2 of them with > $1B revenue) I have had to select alternative solutions.  I am highly motivated to promote Azure but I cannot ignore the R programmers in these companies that need to be equally supported in Azure ML Services.

I am seriously disappointed.  Azure is simply a Python solution.  R is an after thought.

Cliff ZW

Monday, August 12, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Hi Cliff,

I am sorry to make you disappointed. I am a R person as well. The R script module is a good start for R but not the end in Azure Machine Learning Service. I will add more details to the original post to show your scenario to product group. 

Thank you very much for the feedback again and sorry for all inconveniences, I will update to you once I have any news.

Regards,

Yutong

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:58 PM