synchronize Multiple resource from Project RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any solution planned for Multiple resources assigned to a single task in Project that should be published into VSTS ? 
    Will VSTS support many assigned resources?

And another related question:
    Does the current CTP support pulishing a WI that was created in TS back into Project and still supporting hierarchical  relationship?

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

•  

TFS does not have plans to support multiple resource assignments at this time.  We have had a few requests but have been investing in higher demand requests.

As far as your second question, YES, TFS does support round tripping of hierarchy between the Project Pro and TFS in the latest CTP.  It also round trips the successor relationship as well.

John Nierenberg

Program Manager

Team Foundation Server

Office Integration / Project Management

Monday, December 29, 2008 7:15 PM

All replies

•  

TFS does not have plans to support multiple resource assignments at this time.  We have had a few requests but have been investing in higher demand requests.

As far as your second question, YES, TFS does support round tripping of hierarchy between the Project Pro and TFS in the latest CTP.  It also round trips the successor relationship as well.

John Nierenberg

Program Manager

Team Foundation Server

Office Integration / Project Management

Monday, December 29, 2008 7:15 PM
  • I agree with cyoav concerning the first question. As a project manager, permitting a single Microsoft Project task with multiple resources assigned to link to multiple work items, one per resource, is essential. This is without the use of any Project Server or intermediary. This linkage would permit a better project schedule creation without having to deal at the "atomic" level for project reporting and forecasting purposes. Let TFS deal with the individual WIs.

Right now, I simply cannot use TFS with Microsoft Project to manage a software development project. I have to create a separate project schedule, and then use TFS only for tracking bugs, issues, requirements, and utilizing source control. I then publish the project schedule on SharePoint for the team members, and we manually have to correlate the WIs to the project schedule tasks. This workaround is getting pretty old, especially when VSTS/TFS is marketed as a software development project management tool.

If there is any way to have the multiple resource assignments supported in VSTS/TFS 2010, that would definitely help the project managers and team leads in better managing the project schedule using MS Project and TFS together.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback concerning multiple assignments.  Customer requests play heavily into our prioritization.

Regards,

John Nierenberg
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:18 PM