TFS 2012 - Work Item Editor not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a BA trying to update a work item template, but when she opens the wit it just opens in the source editor.  She is running VS 2012 Shell (installed via Team Explorer) and running TFS Power Tools 2012 on a 32 bit machine.  We have tried to uninstall and reinstall power tools with no success.

The Activity xml shows several of these errors.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I have verified that Witdesigner directory does exist and that the dlls are present. 

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.11.0, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
              C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 11.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WITDESIGNER\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.ProcessTools.TemplateEditor.WITDesigner.Dsl.dll

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextTemplating.11.0, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
              C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 11.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WITDESIGNER\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.ProcessTools.TemplateEditor.WITDesigner.Dsl.dll

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.Shell.11.0, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
              C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 11.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WITDESIGNER\Microsoft.TeamFoundation.ProcessTools.TemplateEditor.WITDesigner.DslPackage.dll

• Edited by David_Stanley Monday, November 26, 2012 6:07 PM added the messages
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:58 PM

Answers

• The Process Editor uses the workflow editor to modify the work items. This component is only available in VS Pro and up. That means that VS Express or Team Explorer shell are not supported.

We have a story on the backlog to improve the experience.

Sorry for not having a better answer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by David_Stanley Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi David_Sanley,

Thanks for your post!

From your description, she tries to open the wit file, do you mean the work item template file .xml has been opened through Process Editor at some time in the past? Since when the .xml work item opened from the Process Editor, the .wit file is then created.

Can you tell me if she can see the Process Editor under the Tools menu in the VS2012 Shell? If not, I think the VS 2012 Shell does not support it. I will test it later and give you a reply.

I think she can use witadmin command-line tool to customize the work item template.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd312129.aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Yes, she does have the Tools > Process Editor in the VS Shell.  We've tried to open a work item type from the server and when that didn't work, we exported it and tried to edit it from a file.  Neither worked.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Hi David_Stanley,

Thanks for your feedback!

Can any other person open the wit file?

What error does she encount when she open the file.

Can she use the witadmin to open the xml file of the work item type?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Sorry Cathy.  I had pasted an image of the errors into the original post, and didn't notice that it didn't stay.  I have updated the original post with a few of the errors.  There are 59 of those errors with most of them being the Modeling.Sdk assembly error.  The other two seem to show up randomly in the list.

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.11.0, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I am able to open the wit just fine in on my system. I am running vs 2012 pro with tfs 2012 power tools installed.

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Hi David_Stanley,

Thanks for your feedback!

After some Research, I found that TFS 2012 Power Tools can support Visual Studio 2012, not support Team Explorer 2012. If she wants to use Team Explorer 2012 to open the work item type, she need to install Visual Stuido 2012. 

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Was this intended?  I am pretty sure that the 2010 tools didn't have this limitation.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:11 PM
  • The Process Editor uses the workflow editor to modify the work items. This component is only available in VS Pro and up. That means that VS Express or Team Explorer shell are not supported.

We have a story on the backlog to improve the experience.

Sorry for not having a better answer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by David_Stanley Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:22 PM