none
Riddle My Encryption RRS feed

• Question

• I’m trying to figure out if there is a built-in policy which would deny creation of any new VMs with Encryption disabled.

In the Azure policies, I can find only one policy which is related to VM encryption which is “Disk encryption should be applied on virtual machines”. The issue with this policy is it only audits and doesn’t do the job which I would want to do. That is a) Convert all existing VM to have encryption (both OS and Data Disk) . (B) Any VM that will be created in the future will have to have disk encryption setup by default.

Could you please tell me if there is any custom or built-in policy which could do the above job for me or should I create one on my own?

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 3:48 PM

Answers

• Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding here and any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

The point is that you cannot convert the VMs, I mean how do you perform this? also I don’t think so it is possible block the development of a VM if is not encrypted

The audit will give you the name of the VMs that are not encrypted maybe this is also been doing if you have azure security center then you need to encrypt the VMs

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, December 20, 2019 8:57 AM

All replies

• Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding here and any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

The point is that you cannot convert the VMs, I mean how do you perform this? also I don’t think so it is possible block the development of a VM if is not encrypted

The audit will give you the name of the VMs that are not encrypted maybe this is also been doing if you have azure security center then you need to encrypt the VMs

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, December 20, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, December 23, 2019 1:19 PM