Error while registering developer phone - Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center. Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again. RRS feed

• Question

• After receiving notice that after tonight, it will not be possible to unlock a Windows 8 phone for development, I thought I should go through the steps to unlock my development phone.

After following the registration steps and the numerous trouble shooting steps associated with unlocking my NOKIA Lumina 925 (Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update), I get to the registration portion of the process and I cannot go any further due to this error.

• The device is connected to my development PC and the Windows Developer Phone Registration (v8.1) application acknowledges this.
    • I can connect to the dev.windowsphone.com site and verify my credentials are working/valid.  Also, my account is activated and it shows that I do not have any devices registered at this point.
    • I can connect to the same site on my phone using the same credentials.  The device can access the internet and confirms that the login credentials are working.
    • I have checked that all updates are installed (both PC and phone) and have restarted both.

I would appreciate any assistance given that can help me register this phone.  The world simply cannot wait any longer for my wonder app!  :)

Cheers, Michael

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:21 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue. Noticed another thread last year with the same problem. Someone said there was an issue with device unlocks on the Microsoft side. Maybe due to this email they're swarmed with people trying to unlock? I would hope they'd be ready for that, but doesn't look like it.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:08 PM
  • Hi Michael -- I have a similar problem.  My dashboard account says I have no registered phones.  How ever when I bring up the Windows Developer Phone Registration (v8.1)it states the my phone is registered and will only allow me to unregister.  Like you, I would like to know what the problem asap.

Troy

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:20 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issues. But I get a bit confused. You're speaking about Windows Phone 8.1, but the e-mail message I got said that 8.1 isn't affected. This is only about 8.0, right?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:43 PM
  • This issue only affects Windows Phone 8.0 devices. There is no impact to Windows Phone 8.1. If you are having issues with a Windows Phone 8.1 device, unregister, then register it again.

el_ber

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:38 PM
  • My problem has been solved.  I guess that due to heavy traffic on the registration site, it just takes a while for the dashboard to update.  It took over 4 hours but I was finally able to get registration to come up, I registered my phones and now it shows on my dashboard.  Maybe this is the reason for some of the other problems with registration.  Unfortunately for 8.0 phone users, there isn't a lot of time left.

Troy

Thursday, May 14, 2015 12:03 AM
  • An hour or so ago, I got passed the original problem and could unregister my device, but now I can't register it again. My computer detects it without any problems, but when I try to register it says "Error communicating with the Windows Phone Dev Center. Please set the correct date and time on the phone, check the Internet connection on device and try again later (ErrorCode:0x64)"

Wifi is working. I can surf on the phone, and can even connect using the Dev Center app. Date and time are correct within at least one minute, and I even tried a factory reset. Still the same. What's extra weird is that the phone is reporting that it's up to date, but it says that its OS version is 8.0.10501.127. That should be an old version, from what I can tell.

Now I'm stuck in a much worse state than before since I've already unregistered my phone. It's 3 am so I'll probably just give up on getting this phone to work altogether. :(

Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:10 AM
  • Anders

This is for Windows Phone 8.1.  It appears that you have version 8.0 on your phone.  I has to be updated to 8.1 to register.  Check with your carrier or Manufacturer for an update.

Troy

Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:24 AM
  • Troy,

I got an e-mail today stating that "The Windows Phone 8.0 certificate that validates developer unlocks will expire today May 13, 7pm, Pacific Daylight time." What am I missing here?

Thanks, Anders

Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:28 AM
  • Anders

Yes, sorry for the confusion, your are correct about the deadline.  If you have already removed the phones from your unlock listing and cannot register,  Keep trying.  As I mentioned in my other post,  it is taking some time to reregister a phone.  I would assume that it because there is a lot of traffic on the dev center website due to this deadline.

Troy

Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:00 AM
  • Troy,

Unfortunately, it's too late now anyway.

I think this is connected to a problem I've had for over a year, where my phone (HTC 8X C620e) was clearly connected to the Internet but wouldn't check for updates. After the factory reset(s) I performed earlier tonight, the phone started telling me that it had checked, but that it's up to date (despite Wikipedia telling me that 8X should be upgradable to 8.1). The error messages seem consistent with these issues, but that doesn't make it less weird.

Cheers, Anders

Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:11 AM