none
Selecting multiple choice options in a Calculated Column RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon all,

Can anyone advise if it's possible to pass the options from a SharePoint multiple choice column into a Calculated Column.  if so, how would I do this?

Thanks
    Steven

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:18 AM
    Answerer

Answers

• Hi Steven,

By default, multiple choice column is an unsupported column type be used for calculated column.

As a workaround, you could create a single line of text column, use workflow to update the text column , then create a calculated column based on the text column.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

By default, multiple choice column is an unsupported column type be used for calculated column.

As a workaround, you could create a single line of text column, use workflow to update the text column , then create a calculated column based on the text column.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:56 AM
  • Hi Emily,

Thanks for this.  I was thinking something similar but within Power Automate rather than SPD.  Do you know if the same is possible there?

Thanks
    Steven

Steven Andrews
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Steven,

Which version of SharePoint do you use? SharePoint on-premise or SharePoint Online

If you are using SharePoint on-premise, I suggest you use workflow.

If you are using SharePoint Online, workflow and flow are both ok.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:58 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I'm checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Monday, May 18, 2020 1:34 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I'm checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Hi Emily,

Apologies for the late response.  I'm going to try this today and have unproposed your kind response until then.  Ideally I'd like to get this done with Flow / Power Automate rather than a SharePoint workflow.

Thanks
    Steven

Steven Andrews

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Steven,

If you are using SharePoint 2013, you could use the Data Management Gateway to connect flow with on-premises resources. Here’re steps:

1. Go to Microsoft Gateway, download On-Premises Data Gateway in the SharePoint 2013.

2. Double-click on the GatewayInstall.exe file and run it.

3. Check the checkbox “I accept the terms of use and privacy statement” and click on “Install”.

4. Enter your SharePoint Online account (Email address). Make sure the SharePoint Online account has following licenses.

5. Choose “Register a new gateway on this computer”.

6. Fill in the name for your Gateway and the Recovery Key.

7. Create a flow, in the menu, click add new connection.

8. Select “Connect via on-premises data gateway”, enter the domain account of SharePoint 2013.

9. Enter the site address of SharePoint 2013 through Enter custom value, then follow the below picture to create flow.

Reference:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/microsoft-flow-in-10-days-day-5/

Best regards,

Emily Du

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:03 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Is there any progress on this issue?

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Emily Du   

Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:19 AM
  • Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm still attempting a few solutions.  This is rather trickier than I had imagined.

Steven Andrews

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Steven,

If there is any problem, feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Friday, May 29, 2020 5:17 AM
  • Morning Emily,

I've ended up accepting your solution.  The Power Automate version was too complicated to pull off.  I've marked it up as the solution.

Thanks for your help in the affair

Steven Andrews

Monday, June 1, 2020 9:25 AM
    Answerer