none
PST: How is the property PidTagLtpRowVer calculated? RRS feed

• Question

• In the PST file specification section 2.4.4.4.1 Hierarchy Table Template, one of the properties that should be copied from the child folder to the parent is PidTagLtpRowVer.

I was able to read the property value as generated by Outlook. However, i couldn't find anywhere the specification document about how is this value calculated.

Any help please?

Thanks,

Timothy.

Saturday, January 13, 2018 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Timothy, 

From my research on this, arbitrary value should be ok. Incrementing should also be ok given that I don't see logic based on this row version. New PST file would be the same as using a TC template. Start with an arbitrary value in the template, copy to objects when they are created and increment on changes. This is preliminary but you should test this in your implementation and I will also let you know this early this week if I find any information to the contrary. 

Thanks,

Tom

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Hi Timothy,

Hopefully you've had a chance to do some testing but I wanted to expand on this a little after confirming some things. Effectively, you can use whatever scheme you want to calculate this row version if it’s got meaning to your implementation.  The only thing that's important is that it’s a DWORD (4 bytes) and that we can do an “==” to compare the value.

Hope that helps your implementation effort move forward.

Tom

Friday, January 19, 2018 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Timothy Ghanem,
    Thank you for your inquiry about Microsoft Open Specifications. We have created an incident for investigating this issue. One of the Open specifications team member will contact you shortly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Hi Timothy, 

I'll look into this and get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo 
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications Support

Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Hi Timothy, 

My initial investigation shows that our implementations increment on changes after copying an initial value from template TCs. It looks like it won't be used in any of the processing needed to implement the specification. Are you seeing a problem after writing this value?

Tom

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Tom, Thanks for the prompt reply.

I haven't faced any problem when opening the PST in Outlook yet as i am still working on the PST writer.

So, what you are saying is that:

1. I can set it to any arbitrary value, or..
    2. I can increment the value for the rows i will update and copy the value from the template TC for new rows? But what about when i create a new PST file?

Thanks,

Timothy.

Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Hi Timothy, 

From my research on this, arbitrary value should be ok. Incrementing should also be ok given that I don't see logic based on this row version. New PST file would be the same as using a TC template. Start with an arbitrary value in the template, copy to objects when they are created and increment on changes. This is preliminary but you should test this in your implementation and I will also let you know this early this week if I find any information to the contrary. 

Thanks,

Tom

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Hi Timothy,

Hopefully you've had a chance to do some testing but I wanted to expand on this a little after confirming some things. Effectively, you can use whatever scheme you want to calculate this row version if it’s got meaning to your implementation.  The only thing that's important is that it’s a DWORD (4 bytes) and that we can do an “==” to compare the value.

Hope that helps your implementation effort move forward.

Tom

Friday, January 19, 2018 6:14 PM