none
ClickOnce Application only detects updates when launched twice RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a ClickOnce application and have deployed it in a file share.  Application installs successfully, adds a group in the start menu as specified in the Publisher, and adds the name of the application below the group as specified in the Product Name. 

The problem I'm having is that when I revise the application and publish a new version, the change is detected only after user launches the application twice.  It happens all the time.

1. User launches the application.  Application loads without any "Update Notification".

2. User closes the application and launches it again.

3. The"Application Update" prompt kicks in.

Under Publish => Updates, I have:

1. Checked "The application should check for updates"

2. Checked "Checked every time the application runs"

3. Checked "Specify minimum required version", with the "Revision" set at the current number before it is incremented during "Publish".

I am not sure why it is behaving this way.  It's consistent.  I'm hoping that someone can help out with this issue.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi BMcMillen,

To handle the issue, you can follow the steps below.

On the Updates dialog box of the Publish tab:

1. Checked "The application should check for updates".
    2. Checked "Before the application starts".
    3. Checked "Specify minimum required version", with the "Revision" set at the current number before it is incremented during "Publish".
    4. In the “Update location( if different than publish location)” text box , enter your path.

Then click Publish Now.

Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

• Marked as answer by BMcMillen Friday, November 1, 2019 2:04 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2019 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi BMcMillen,

To handle the issue, you can follow the steps below.

On the Updates dialog box of the Publish tab:

1. Checked "The application should check for updates".
    2. Checked "Before the application starts".
    4. In the “Update location( if different than publish location)” text box , enter your path.

Then click Publish Now.

Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

• Marked as answer by BMcMillen Friday, November 1, 2019 2:04 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2019 6:52 AM
  • It works like a charm! 

Thanks, Daniel!

Friday, November 1, 2019 2:05 PM
  • For all installations/R.click on the install icon,select Run as Administrator,the method gets installed.Also,in cmd type: services.msc scroll thru,see if its listed,if so double click,edit the start up tabs..
    Friday, November 1, 2019 10:34 PM