Stopping a cloud to staging area restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have a cloud to staging area restore processing on a on premise Azure backup server which the staging area is filling up the C drive.  I need the job to stop and to know if it's safe to delete the folder in the staging area.  I have tried restarting the services and server, running stop-dpmjob all from the powershell commands.  None of this seems to be able to stop the push.  The C drive is at about 2GB left.  So I need to purge the temp and stop it from continuing.
    Thursday, May 21, 2020 1:48 PM

Answers

• Thank you for reaching out to us!

For stopping the jobs in progress, you can kill "cbengine process"

Regarding deleting folders in the staging area -  You can delete files with the exception of one file "

wit .kek extension" this one cannot be deleted. If deleted, DPM will loose registration to the vault and backup restore to cloud will stop working.

Recommendation: You should have a dedicated disk with enough space for staging area and move the folder there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. Feel free to reach out to us if you've any further questions in this matter. 

Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:03 PM
  • Ended up using a couple of SQL query statements on the DPM database which appeared to clear the MMC issue for me, not sure how much they would apply to all.  These queries came from an old posted script that was used much in the same way when database and disk were mismatched or disconnected. Found here: https://thesaffageek.co.uk/tag/which-was-initiated-by-the-dpmsync-tool-if-dpmsync-is-not-running-and-the-dpm-service-is-still-in-recovery-mode/

Execute these two statements on the database

SELECT * FROM tbl_TE_taskTrail where ExecutionState NOT IN (2,3)
    SELECT * FROM tbl_JM_JobTrail WHERE jobstate in ('Execute', 'Retired')

• Marked as answer by Chris Col Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:49 PM

All replies

• Thank you for reaching out to us!

For stopping the jobs in progress, you can kill "cbengine process"

Regarding deleting folders in the staging area -  You can delete files with the exception of one file "

wit .kek extension" this one cannot be deleted. If deleted, DPM will loose registration to the vault and backup restore to cloud will stop working.

Recommendation: You should have a dedicated disk with enough space for staging area and move the folder there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. Feel free to reach out to us if you've any further questions in this matter. 

Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:03 PM
  • Thank you for the prompt response, I appreciate it.  With regards to the .kek file where would that be? Is it within the Staging Area or outside of that directory?  The reason I ask is because within the staging area the folders have a parent for the job and then the child displays access denied when attempting to look into them.  I want to make sure I'm not deleting something by accident.  

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Backup Server\DPM\StagingArea\Job GUID\Job String access denied when attempting to open this to view.  I have to take ownership to view anything in these folders.

The other question if I stop the cbengine process, will the restore job not attempt to process again when Azure backup server is opened again?

Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:21 PM
  • There are two temp locations, one for backup and one for restore. Since you are doing a restore you don't have to worry about kek file, go ahead and delete the content.

Friday, May 22, 2020 4:59 PM
  • I was able to delete the section in question, which cleared out 300 or so GB.  Since that job started I am unable to open the MMC for Azure backup.  I have been looking all over for how to get this part fixed, some articles mention a problem between the SQL and disk which causes an error when the MMC attempts to load protection groups. As far as I can tell the recovery job is either stuck or some difference is causing issues.  I need the MMC back up and running since I have some restores I need to complete.  Any ideas on how to remedy this?  Found an old article that shows running this query on the SQL DB might stop the failing jobs and restore function:  Any ideas if this would work or any other workarounds to get the MMC back to functional.  One article also mentioned a private Microsoft fix for this type of issue.

UPDATE tbl_TE_TaskTrail
    SET ExecutionState = 3,
    LastStateName = ‘Failure’,
    StoppedDateTime = GetUtcDate()
    WHERE ExecutionState NOT IN (2,3)

UPDATE tbl_JM_JobTrail
    SET JobState= ‘Failed’,
    EndDateTime = GetUtcDate()
    WHERE jobstate= ‘Execute’ OR jobstate= ‘Retire

• Edited by Chris Col Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:21 PM
  • Ended up using a couple of SQL query statements on the DPM database which appeared to clear the MMC issue for me, not sure how much they would apply to all.  These queries came from an old posted script that was used much in the same way when database and disk were mismatched or disconnected. Found here: https://thesaffageek.co.uk/tag/which-was-initiated-by-the-dpmsync-tool-if-dpmsync-is-not-running-and-the-dpm-service-is-still-in-recovery-mode/

Execute these two statements on the database

SELECT * FROM tbl_TE_taskTrail where ExecutionState NOT IN (2,3)
    SELECT * FROM tbl_JM_JobTrail WHERE jobstate in ('Execute', 'Retired')

• Marked as answer by Chris Col Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:49 PM
  • @Chris Col Thanks for the update. Glad to know it is resolved now.
    Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:33 AM