none
Reserved Instances for postgresql (coming from RDS)

Question

• hi guys,

we are just evaluating Azure SQL- Postgresql . I'm based in India and are currently using AWS RDS Postgresql. 

I'm trying to understand how the reserved instance feature works - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-reserved-capacity

On RDS, I use a db.m4.2xlarge (8vcpu, 32GB) with 2TB storage. If I prepay for a year for Mumbai-India region, it costs me 5467 USD per year. I'm not able to figure out the pricing on Azure in a similar way. 

Could you guys help please ?

• Moved by Femisulu Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:16 AM better suited here
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:26 PM

All replies

• Note: Azure SQL Database reserved capacity is initially available to single databases, elastic pools, and managed instance

You can create an Azure Database for PostgreSQL server in one of three different pricing tiers: Basic, General Purpose, and Memory Optimized. The pricing tiers are differentiated by the amount of compute in vCores that can be provisioned, memory per vCore, and the storage technology used to store the data.

For the most up-to-date pricing information, see the service pricing page. To see the cost for the configuration you want, the Azure portal shows the monthly cost on the Pricing tier tab based on the options you select. If you don't have an Azure subscription, you can use the Azure pricing calculator to get an estimated price. On the Azure pricing calculator website, select Add items, expand the Databases category, and choose Azure Database for PostgreSQL to customize the options.

For more details, refer “Azure Database for PostgreSQL pricing tiers”.

If you have questions or need help, create a support requestand choose Issue type as “Billing” OR Call to “Global Customer Service phone numbers”.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:39 AM
  • hi,

the pricing calculator does NOT have reserved tier pricing. Can you let me know how to calculate accordingly ? 

To be clear, I'm able to get pricing of a azure postgresql instance using the pricing calculator, but im not able to see the discount given by a reserved capacity tier 

Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:39 AM
  • As I mentioned in the previous post, “Currently, Reserved Instances are available on Azure SQL Database”.

Reserved Instance pricing is not available for Azure Database for PostgreSQL (or MySQL and MariaDB) at this point.

Friday, January 11, 2019 4:23 AM