none
FunctionTimeout Not Working - Using Default Instead RRS feed

• Question

• I have an azure function, v2.0 on a consumption plan, that uses durable orchestration.  One of the activities the durable orchestration function calls, LoadWaterAllocation using CallActivityAsync, takes a while to run.

Thus, we have set the host.json (below) to have a function timeout of 10 minutes.  However, that activity times out after 5 minutes (the default) with the following message:

Timeout value of 00:05:00 exceeded by function 'LoadWaterAllocation' (Id: '6bfcdbf4-334d-4f12-88ab-120706adb6ea'). Initiating cancellation.

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-scale, I should be able to set this to 10 minutes.  I have been able to successfully set the timeout to 10 minutes on other projects as well.  Why doesn't this one work?

Host.json

{
      "version": "2.0",
      "functionTimeout": "00:10:00"
    }

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:18 PM

All replies

• Could you provide the following information so we can investigate from back end?

- Function App version (1.0 or 2.0)
    - Function App name
    - Function name(s) (as appropriate)
    - Region

If you don't want to give your function app name, you can do so privately.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/wiki/Sharing-Your-Function-App-name-privately

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:06 AM
    1. v2.0
    2. Timestamp: 2019-09-17T15:42:59.965          Execution Id: 6e7c7230-560e-4454-a97a-0b76e82e40dd
    3. Durable Function: LoadWaterAllocationDataOrchestration          Function Timing Out: LoadWaterAllocation
    4. West US

I think I grabbed the correct information for the App Name.  I didn't get a "Function Started" log but that data came from an "Executing" log entry.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

There are some observations while looking at the back-end logs. Can you please drop an email so that I can share the findings in 1:1 discussion.

Could you please send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and looking forward for your reply.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:05 AM