none
FunctionTimeout Not Working - Using Default Instead RRS feed

• Question

• I have an azure function, v2.0 on a consumption plan, that uses durable orchestration.  One of the activities the durable orchestration function calls, LoadWaterAllocation using CallActivityAsync, takes a while to run.

Thus, we have set the host.json (below) to have a function timeout of 10 minutes.  However, that activity times out after 5 minutes (the default) with the following message:

Timeout value of 00:05:00 exceeded by function 'LoadWaterAllocation' (Id: '6bfcdbf4-334d-4f12-88ab-120706adb6ea'). Initiating cancellation.

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-scale, I should be able to set this to 10 minutes.  I have been able to successfully set the timeout to 10 minutes on other projects as well.  Why doesn't this one work?

Host.json

{
      "version": "2.0",
      "functionTimeout": "00:10:00"
    }

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:18 PM

All replies

• Could you provide the following information so we can investigate from back end?

- Function App version (1.0 or 2.0)
    - Function App name
    - Function name(s) (as appropriate)
    - Region

If you don't want to give your function app name, you can do so privately.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/wiki/Sharing-Your-Function-App-name-privately

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:06 AM
    Owner
    1. v2.0
    2. Timestamp: 2019-09-17T15:42:59.965          Execution Id: 6e7c7230-560e-4454-a97a-0b76e82e40dd
    3. Durable Function: LoadWaterAllocationDataOrchestration          Function Timing Out: LoadWaterAllocation
    4. West US

I think I grabbed the correct information for the App Name.  I didn't get a "Function Started" log but that data came from an "Executing" log entry.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

There are some observations while looking at the back-end logs. Can you please drop an email so that I can share the findings in 1:1 discussion.

Could you please send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and looking forward for your reply.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:05 AM
    Owner
  • Hello,

I am experiencing just the same problem.

Consumption plan; v2; in host.json functionTimeout property is set to 10 mins, but when calling the function from the browser or other Web tools, it timeouts. 

If I set functionTimeout to 10 seconds and function executes for more than 10 seconds, it throws HTTP 500.

Have no idea, what to do next. DixitArora, could you help me on this?

• Edited by GabrieliusL Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:10 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:05 PM
  • Hi GabrieliusL,

I have responded back to you on the email for the next steps.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:06 AM
    Owner