locked
TFS App Tier Fails to connect to Report Services after domain move RRS feed

  • Question

  • We recently moved our TFS 2015.1 Test System (four servers) from the original domain to a new domain in the same network. The domains have a two-way trust. After moving the system we were changing over all the components, Sharepoint, MS SQL Server, Reporting Services to run run with new service accounts in the new domains, this was successful. 

    However when reconfiguring  Reporting Services service account on the App Tier server in TFS Administration the RS summary presents this error: 'TF255316: The name of the service account used for the data sources in SQL Server Reporting Services cannot be loaded from the following server: http://f3180-tfsappt2/ReportServer/ReportService2005.asmx.' I have attempted to update this setting with both the Admin GUI and the TFSConfig Accounts command. Neither has worked. Log files from either present this error: 

    "

    [Error  @17:29:48.247] Failed adding vngt\TFSReports_Test to datasource.
    [Error  @17:29:48.247] System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDatabaseUnavailableException: The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Global.EnsureModeFromCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Global.EnsureRSNativeMode()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2005..ctor()
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.Channels.TfsHttpClientBase.HandleReply(TfsClientOperation operation, TfsMessage message, Object[]& outputs)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.Channels.TfsHttpClientBase.Invoke(TfsClientOperation operation, Object[] parameters, TimeSpan timeout, Object[]& outputs)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.Reporting.ReportingService.GetDataSourceContents(String DataSource, DataSourceDefinition& Definition)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Admin.ConfigureDataSourceBase.UpdateDataSource(String account, String password, String dataSourcePath, ISqlConnectionInfo configConnectionInfo, Boolean changeAccount)"

    I'm at a loss on this as Report Services is up and running in the new domain with its new service account and can be accessed from the app tier server with a browser. Everything I've found online has all checked out OK, but no joy. The TFS App Tier server is still running with the service account from the previous domain and we are logged on to the App Tier console with that service account when attempting the Repoerting Services account change. Reporting configuration can connect to tfs_Datawarehouse db and Analysis Services can connect to TFS_Analysis DB, attempting to add the service account to the reporting tab results in an error: 'The specified configuration is invalid. Update the fileds as indicated for each tab.' 

    I hope a member out there has some insight and can help us. Thanks.

    Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:15 PM

Answers

  • Hi Gary,

    Did you follow the link below to move your TFS across domains? Please double check the process:

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/tfs-server/admin/move-across-domains

    Also please check whether the account that you are using has insufficient rights on the Data Sources. Go to http://localhost/Reports. Click on Folder Settings from the Home page, and make sure that your account has the following rights set: Content Manager and Team Foundation Content Manager.

    Best regards,


    MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

    Friday, November 17, 2017 9:03 AM

All replies

  • Hi Gary,

    Did you follow the link below to move your TFS across domains? Please double check the process:

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/tfs-server/admin/move-across-domains

    Also please check whether the account that you are using has insufficient rights on the Data Sources. Go to http://localhost/Reports. Click on Folder Settings from the Home page, and make sure that your account has the following rights set: Content Manager and Team Foundation Content Manager.

    Best regards,


    MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

    Friday, November 17, 2017 9:03 AM
  • I worked through all the service and access accounts for SSRS, and DB permissions and SQL Server roles and was able to resolve this issue. The 'Service Account' was originally set to 'Local Service' which I believe was no longer valid in the new domain. I updated both 'Service' and 'Execution' accounts to new services accounts provisioned in the new domain and restarted SSRS and it all started working.
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:50 PM