Feedback on WIWA aka "Bug Submission Portal" CTP RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

we've examined WIWA last friday. We've evaluated it against the requirements of a bug tracking system used by end customers.

First of all, the Microsoft-Team did a great job on this. As well as TSWA, WIWA has a nice UI and is easy to use.

But there are some missing features as well...

Since we want to make it accessible for end customers, we need to hide nearly all work item types. Only a simplified version of the Bug work item (e.g. "Bug Report") should be visible. So we're missing a configurable possibility for that.

We also want to send email notifications on changes, that we made to those bug reports since we want to keep our customers informed about the bug fixing progress. So it might be nice to have a profile editor included into WIWA, where they can edit contact information which will be stored in the Active Directory.

Last but not least, we'd like to provide filtering, since closed bugs might not be of interest anymore.

All-in-all we like to see that MS is opening access to TFS for nonlicensed users, since this is a feature many of our TFS customers request.

Best regards,

Sven Hubert

AIT AG - Germany

http://tfsblog.aitag.com

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Sven,

Thanks for the great feedback.

About the simple bug form, it's quite complicated to build such a functionality that would map the fields from a full work item type to a simpler one. Mostly due to work item rule processing, it's hard to build a generic tool but it would be much simpler to do it yourself by hard coding the work item type. I'd suggest you to take a look at the work item tracking object model, the VS SDK has great amount of documentation and samples.

Another point here is that WIWA is not designed for "external access" scenarios, so the WIWA users are required to have accounts on TFS. Basically, TFS access is limited to the employees, vendors and contractors unless you have an "external connector" license.

Regarding filtering, we've got some other requests for this and we'll be looking at enabling this.

Again, thanks for the feedback and we'd be glad to hear more from you.

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:15 PM
  •  

Do you have more information on acquiring an "external connector" license?
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:07 PM

• According to this link, people who are only entering bugs don't need a CAL.  How does one setup a user for this scenario so they don't require a CAL?  Other than being a windows user, what group (if any) do they need to be part of?

http://blogs.msdn.com/hakane/archive/2008/04/09/what-is-work-item-web-access-wiwa.aspx
    Friday, May 30, 2008 6:33 PM
  • When TFS is installed, there are certain groups created in that server which a valid TFS user must belong to. The TFS installation guide has more information around this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ff12844f-398c-4fe9-8b0d-9e84181d9923&displaylang=en

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:44 AM
  • Figured I would tack onto this post to provide some more feedback on TSWA and inparticular WIWA. WIWA would be more useful if it did not limit a users view to just the work items they created. By doing this, it just creates more work for those on the other side responding to the work items entered because end users cannot see if someone else already submitted the same issue.

Anyway, the websites work well, both TSWA and WIWA, the above feature would be nice though.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

I don't know if I'm missing something, but as far as I understand it, for a user to have access to WIWA, that user must be part of the [Team Project]\Readers group.

Would it be able to create a group in TFS specifically for users that only need access to say WIWA and don't have a CAL license? The reason I'm asking is a use in the [Team Project]\Readers group can still access the source code.

I've got a a project where I want to give people access to WIWA but I don't want to enable them to access the source code at all. Some of the users to have CAL licenses but I don't want to give them permission on every project that allows them to view the source code, but they must be able to submit bugs via WIWA.

I don't know if this is in the pipeline for release in Rossario, but it would be great if we could assign permissions like that!

Apart from that, I think this is a great product!

Thanks,

Marais

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:10 AM