none
Domain is in a broken state RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings

I recently moved my Azure based App Service Domain + DNS Zone to a new resource group. Now when I attempt to use the App Service Domain as a Custom Domain for a WebApp/AzureFunction I receive this error:

App Service Domain 'xxx.com' is in a broken state. Please navigate to the App Service Domain resource and delegate to Azure DNS before adding hostname.

Reading through the forums I found an answer from Matt Nielson.

This error should only be displayed under 2 scenarios. Either your domain thinks it's hosted on Azure DNS but the nameservers being used are not the Azure DNS name servers OR there has been a resource move (by resource group or subscription) causing the DNS zone ID that we use to be invalid.

Link: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/79705ddd-2abd-4cc5-8636-15ee58d81fdf/domain-is-in-a-broken-state?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

I suspect that my issue falls into the second category mentioned by Matt, however I cannot find any documentation or guidance on how to update/change the DNS Zone ID. 

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:51 AM

Answers

• Sneha and Surya from Microsoft were able to assist me.

Apparently when I changed the DNS Zone the dnsZoneId was not updated correctly. If you find yourself in a similar situation here's what you need to do:

1. Navigate to the Azure resources portal https://resources.azure.com/
    2. Expand your subscription
    3. Expand the new resource group 
    4. Expand providers
    5. Expand Microsoft.DomainRegistration
    6. Expand the domain affected
    7. Check the id and dnsZoneId have the correct resource group and if not update the incorrect one

• Marked as answer by Kane.B Friday, September 13, 2019 10:10 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 10:10 PM

All replies

• Thanks for asking question! The custom domain might be pointing to the old IP address. Try verifying the custom domain is configured with an A record (correct IP) and/or a CNAME record.

You may refer below article which would be helpful to configure custom DNS name to Azure App Service: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/app-service-web-tutorial-custom-domain

Also, when moving a Web App within the same subscription, you can't move the uploaded SSL certificates. However, you can move a WebApp to the new resource group without moving its uploaded SSL certificate, and your app's SSL functionality still works. Kindly refer to the document App Service limitations for details. Let me know if you have questions on this.

Monday, September 9, 2019 10:45 AM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see the previous response. Let me know if you have any other question on this.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Hi Sneha

Apologies for the delay in responding. Sadly the issue is not resolved and I am still experiencing the same issue:

> App Service Domain 'wecanteamup.com' is in a broken state. Please navigate to the App Service Domain resource and delegate to Azure DNS before adding hostname.

I suspect the issue is caused when I moved my App Service Domain and DNS Zone to a new resource group. 

Apex (@) NS details are:
    ns1-08.azure-dns.com.
    ns2-08.azure-dns.net.
    ns3-08.azure-dns.org.
    ns4-08.azure-dns.info.

Apex (@) SOA details are:
    Email: azuredns-hostmaster.microsoft.com
    Host: ns1-08.azure-dns.com.
    Refresh: 3600
    Retry: 300
    Expire: 2419200
    Minimum TTL: 300
    Serial number: 1

I believe that switching resource groups affected the -08 part of the name servers, and it needs to be updated to something else (e.g. -09) but I am not sure what. Would it be better if I raised a support request throug the Azure portal?

Thanks
    Kane
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Thanks for replying! Could you please send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread, we would like to work closer with you on this matter.

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Sneha and Surya from Microsoft were able to assist me.

Apparently when I changed the DNS Zone the dnsZoneId was not updated correctly. If you find yourself in a similar situation here's what you need to do:

1. Navigate to the Azure resources portal https://resources.azure.com/
    2. Expand your subscription
    3. Expand the new resource group 
    4. Expand providers
    5. Expand Microsoft.DomainRegistration
    6. Expand the domain affected
    7. Check the id and dnsZoneId have the correct resource group and if not update the incorrect one

• Marked as answer by Kane.B Friday, September 13, 2019 10:10 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 10:10 PM