is Express enough to make Windows Phone apps? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am considering making a start on some Windows Phone development. I previously used to make Windows Mobile applications using Visual Studio Professional 2005 and 2008, using the C# language. I have had a long break away from creating Windows apps and want to see what I need these days for creating Windows Phone apps that I can publish to the Store for selling.

I know I will need to get an up to date Windows 8.0 or 8.1 equipped computer. However, I'm wondering if I need to get the current version of Visual Studio Professional, or if the Visual Studio Express IDE is sufficient to do the job? As always, cost os a factor, so I would rather try and save the £400 or so required for the Visual Studio Pro if I can avoid it, and just use Express. However, I dont want to limit myself in some way, or discover that vital feature(s) are missing from Express to make the development of Phone apps easier.

Can anyone offer some information on what the differences are between Express and Professional with regards to Windows Phone Development?

Also, are the Windows Phone's emulators quite sufficient for learning on until I can get a real device?

Many thanks for any help, tips, advice..

David

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:19 AM

Answers

• Hello,

you can use the community edition of visual studio ([1]) which is available for individual developers for free, even to develop paid apps.

The community edition is totally suited to develop fully featured windows/windows phone apps and is comparable to the professional edition of visual studio.

The windows phone emulator can indeed be used as a replacement for a real device to test your app. However, before you upload your app to the store, you should run it on a real device to see how your app behaves in real world usage.

[1] https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

Regards,
    Henning Dieterichs
    Developer-Hotline for MSDN Online Germany

Disclaimer:
    Please take into consideration, that further inquiries cannot or will be answered with delay.
    For further information please contact us per telephone through the MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline: http://www.msdn-online.de/Hotline
    MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline: Fast and professional help for software developers free of charge!

For this post by the MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline the following terms and conditions apply: Trademarks, Privacy as well as the separate terms of use for the MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline .

• Marked as answer by DaveCage Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

you can use the community edition of visual studio ([1]) which is available for individual developers for free, even to develop paid apps.

The community edition is totally suited to develop fully featured windows/windows phone apps and is comparable to the professional edition of visual studio.

The windows phone emulator can indeed be used as a replacement for a real device to test your app. However, before you upload your app to the store, you should run it on a real device to see how your app behaves in real world usage.

[1] https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

Regards,
    Henning Dieterichs
    Developer-Hotline for MSDN Online Germany

Disclaimer:
    Please take into consideration, that further inquiries cannot or will be answered with delay.
    For further information please contact us per telephone through the MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline: http://www.msdn-online.de/Hotline
    MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline: Fast and professional help for software developers free of charge!

For this post by the MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline the following terms and conditions apply: Trademarks, Privacy as well as the separate terms of use for the MSDN-Entwickler-Hotline .

• Marked as answer by DaveCage Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Hi Henning,

Thanks very much for your reply. This looks perfect for the task at hand, exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you,

David

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:33 PM