none
Azure reservations, only reserve for specific hours? And reserve app services? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking into Azure reservations, and how it could save us some money in the long run. But there are a few things that I am not quite sure about.

For example, is it possible to use a reservation to it's full extent, even in a test/staging environment where the VMs are only running on normal office hours? So, instead of buying 730 hours per month, we buy let's say 176 hours per month (22 work days * 8 h/day). Would that be possible? Ie to get the discount logic to only count the office hours (or any custom definition). Since this would mean that the usage can still be predefined and calculated, and would still follow the main principle of "pay upfront for a specified number of VM hours", I see no practical reason why this shouldn't be possible. Without it, it feels like dev/test/staging environments are more or less left out of this discount thing, even though their usage still often can be calculated up front to some degree of certainty.

Also, the pricing calculator doesn't give me an option to calculate reservation discounts for app services. Does that mean that such an option doesn't exist? If that is the case, then the appeal of app services is reduced quite a bit, the way I see it.
    • Edited by Name436 Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:06 PM

Answers

• Interpretation on hourly allocation of benefit is correct.

• Marked as answer by Name436 Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:24 PM

All replies