none
Unable to Publish Web Role (maxReceivedMessageSize error) RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MVC website project (NOT WCF) that deploys as an azure cloud service web role.

I am publishing from Visual Studio, by selecting Publish for the Azure Project associated with the Website project. This has worked fine for me.

My latest attempt at publishing produced the following log within Visual Studio:

4:14:46 PM - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
    4:14:47 PM - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    4:14:47 PM - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element

I'm not sure what this is referring to.  My MVC project web.config has no binding elements.  My Azure project for the cloud service does have endpoint binding elements in the service definition (one for http, and one for https), but the as far as I can tell the WebRole Schema has no binding MaxReceivedMessageSize attribute.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/gg557553.aspx

Some misc info:

- I just updated to the April 2018 Windows 10 update.

- I haven't changed any diagnostic or cloud service configuration since my last successful publish deployment.

- The publish error occurs quickly, so the package is apparently not even uploaded to Azure.

Any advice?

Monday, June 25, 2018 10:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am having the same exact issue. This started about an hour ago. Before that, I was able to deploy my cloud service to Azure without any issues. 
    Monday, June 25, 2018 11:05 PM
  • Also having the issue in SouthEast Asia. This is an Azure problem.

Have not updated any tools recently, currently experiencing issue on:

• Visual Studio 15.5.4 Professional 2017.
    • Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0
    • Microsoft Azure Tools 2.9

Monday, June 25, 2018 11:06 PM
  • I get the same error! 
    Monday, June 25, 2018 11:06 PM
  • Thanks all for bringing this up. Sounds like a wide spread issue. I am investigating. 

In the meantime, can you all tell me if you are seeing this in a particular region? 

Monday, June 25, 2018 11:52 PM
  • I am having the same issue trying to publish a cloud service.
    Monday, June 25, 2018 11:57 PM
  • The same here. South Central US datacenter.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:01 AM
  • We are trying East US location
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:03 AM
  • I have been seeing this error in East US for a couple hours now. Publish repeatedly fails when trying to update deployment of worker role to cloud service. Had no issues in past.

7:22:15 PM - Uploading Certificates...
    7:22:31 PM - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    7:22:32 PM - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:33 AM
  • Same in Brazil South Datacenter...

21:18:21 - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
    21:18:23 - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    21:18:32 - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

Claudio SOXXIAL TECHNOLOGIES

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:44 AM
  • Update, I am investigating and raising awareness to the correct teams. Will update again shortly. 
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:59 AM
  • Same on Cloud service: south central US

12:53:15 AM - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    12:53:16 AM - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Can everyone tell me the method of deployment? 

VSTS, PowerShell, CLI, Portal? 

I see one is using VSTS but trying to see if this is only from VSTS or other ways as well. Thanks! 

-Micah

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:25 AM
  • Dont know the others, i'm publishing from VS and got this error.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:30 AM
  • I've been through the same issue since this morning, looking for solution.

Using Visual studio Enterprise 2017.

• Edited by James60338 Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:38 AM
  • Using visual studio community 2017
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:43 AM
  • Using Visual studio Professional 2017.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:56 AM
  • Thank you all. Seems like the issue might be isolated to using Visual Studio. The teams are investigating. 
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:00 AM
  • This may be related to the latest VS update (15.7.4). I am not 100% sure, but this is probably the first time I try to Publish after installing 15.7.4.

Also, instead of using Publish, I was able to successfully deploy using the VS 'Package' option and then Upload, directly on Azure Portal (ARM).

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:26 AM
  • We have the same issue now in deploying Cloud Service to South Central US datacenter through VS 2015

---------------------------------------------------------------

9:58:24 PM - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
    9:58:25 PM - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    9:58:27 PM - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

• Edited by FJ-W Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:09 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:49 AM
  • Experiencing the same issue East US region! any workaround for deployment?

Update:

Workaround: Create package and upload manually on cloud service worked for me.

• Edited by Raxitr Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:24 AM added workaround
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:17 AM
  • Thanks.Yes we are still trying to figure out the reason behind this. As a work around deploying the package via the portal does work
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:42 AM
  • Any developments on this?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:54 AM
  • !! Microsoft  => Priority please?

This is an Azure issue - same here since this morning. (Netherlands, west europe)

Deployment:

08:07:03 - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
    08:07:17 - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    08:07:18 - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

========= UPDATE =========

11:07 AM (CEST - EUROPE): Started working again.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:18 AM
  • We have diagnosed the root cause and are preparing a fix.  Our hope is this can be fixed on the Azure service side, which would restore operation without any changes to Visual Studio or your apps.

The main issue is that VS Publish to Cloud Service fails on the step that tells Azure Service Management (RDFE) to deploy the Azure Diagnostics (WAD) extension.  Part of that step simply returns the list of extensions, and the list of extensions has grown so long due to releases over time (1063660 bytes) that the REST call return payload is too large for the WCF client in VS to consume, and hence we see the failure inside of the VS tooling client.  WCF is an internal implementation detail for how VS calls Azure REST APIs.  The solution is to reduce the list of WAD extensions versions, and the list payload as a result, starting with old revisions that are out of support and replaced by newer revisions.  

We hope to have this turned around with a permanent fix soon.  Meanwhile, the workaround is to deploy in VS with Enable Diagnostics unchecked in the Role designer (if that is a viable option for you), or by using another deployment tool like the Azure portal or Azure PowerShell cmdlets.  

Thank you,

Paul Yuknewicz

Lead Product Manager, Azure Dev Experience 

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:25 AM
  • Fixed here (deploying to West Europe) - thanks.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Microsoft give the following report on Azure status history :

It's good to have this link on your favorite pages to check if Azure services are operating normally.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Fixed here too... (India)
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 10:41 AM
  • Hi - yes it was fixed at 2:30 AM PDT.  The fix was only related to the diagnostics extensions list.  

thank you for your patience and reports.

Paul

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Thanks all for the help on this! As Paul mentioned we deployed a fix and all should be back to normal :)
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:04 PM
  • Facing now (July 11 2019) the same problem!
    Can't update site! (North Europe)

10:33:38 PM - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
    10:33:39 PM - Applying Diagnostics extension.
    10:33:40 PM - The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (1048576) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

Please your HELP

• Edited by Libti Team Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:04 PM
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:52 PM