none
Front-door extension removed from publicly available list. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We were using az extension add --name front-door command for front-door extension to run the front-door related scripts in AZ CLI task for DevOps.

As of now its not there in the available extensions. Let us know if something has been changed as related document doesn't have any modifications.

Refer snapshot for more details:

Please respond asap.

Hemant Kaushik

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the additional info!

The software on the Hosted agents is periodically updated enabling you access to the latest versions of software. However, until that happens, you may use the following updated set of commands specific to Windows agents to get going:

# Gets the current version of Azure CLI => could be 2.0.67
    call az --version

# Installs the latest version of Azure CLI
    call pip install azure-cli

# Prints the CLI version after the install => should change to 2.0.69
    call az --version

# Lists the available extensions. Note the "Installed" flag for front-door set to "False" initially
    call az extension list-available --output table

# Adds the front-door extension
    call az extension add --name front-door

# The "Installed" flag for front-door should now reflect "True"

This should help you meet your requirement. Please give it a try and let me know if you still see issues!

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Hemant, 

I am able to repro your issue. I am getting the same error. You are using the latest version of Azure CLI. I have reached out to the respective teams to figure out whether the extension was removed or any alternatives have been made. 

I will respond here once I hear back. 

Regards, 

Msrini

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Hi Hemant, 

Can you try installing the latest version if CLI from here ?

Due to recent changes, you need to update the CLI  to the latest version to get this working. 

It worked for me post upgradation of latest version of CLI:

Regards, 

Msrini

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

I tried with the version below and i guess its latest as of now and it's still breaking, make sure you checked on devops task as well.

Hemant Kaushik

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:49 AM
  • Can you run the below command and check if you are able to find the Azure Frontdoor extension ?

az extension list-available --output table

front-door          1.0.0      Manage networking Front Doors.                                                                     

Also I see you use CLI version of 2.0.67. Can you update that to  2.0.69 ?

Regards, 

Msrini            

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:54 AM
  • Yes i can check its 2.0.67 in devops task How can i update CLI version in task?

Hemant Kaushik

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hello Hemant,

You may use the following commands to upgrade the CLI version on the Azure CLI task in the Pipeline:

az --version

# Updates the CLI only to the latest version (and not all the other installed packages)
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade -y azure-cli

# Prints the CLI version after the upgrade => should change to 2.0.69
    az --version

# Lists the available extensions. Note the "Installed" flag for front-door set to "False" initially

az extension add --name front-door

This would look something like:

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Thanks, but i'm using a windows agent in pool then bash will not work in DevOps CLI task, can you please provide cmd scripts for the same?

Hemant Kaushik

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:41 AM
  • Yup, that's right. What is the exact name of the Agent Pool that you're using?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:11 PM
  • This is the one:

Hosted VS2017

Hemant Kaushik

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:20 PM
  • Thanks for the additional info!

The software on the Hosted agents is periodically updated enabling you access to the latest versions of software. However, until that happens, you may use the following updated set of commands specific to Windows agents to get going:

call az --version

# Installs the latest version of Azure CLI
    call pip install azure-cli

# Prints the CLI version after the install => should change to 2.0.69
    call az --version

call az extension add --name front-door

This should help you meet your requirement. Please give it a try and let me know if you still see issues!

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:41 PM
  • Yes, its working now but taking a lot to install. Is there any other way around we can update the agents or we can be notified for the update so that we can remove this explicit installation for lesser time consumption?

Hemant Kaushik

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Hello again Hemant,

Thanks for the confirmation. I do understand that it takes longer to process than would otherwise have with pre-installed latest packages. However, read on for some good news!

This is the repo which contains the scripts that generate the Linux and Windows virtual machine images used by Azure Pipelines for Microsoft-hosted CI/CD agents. Image updates are deployed every 3 weeks. You can follow the releases here. Consider enabling Watch -> Releases only at the top of the page to stay up-to-date with the latest releases. You might also subscribe to this RSS feed to be notified of upcoming image changes and other important messages.

Diving deeper into the details of the Hosted VS2017 image, you can find the latest list of all the installed software on machines belonging to this pool detailed here, or by just searching the release tags for "VS2017/XXX.X". Clicking on the tag would open up the software details again. Alternatively, another way to find what tools are being used for your account is to check the Agent Pools tab (https://dev.azure.com/{your-org}/{your-project}/_settings/agentqueues), clicking on the particular agent pool, then Details. Searching for Azure CLI on that page should pull this up:

However, if you still feel the need for more control over installed software for your builds and deployments, you can use self-hosted agents. While Microsoft-hosted agents are the simplest way to get going, self-hosted agents can offer some performance benefits as caches and configuration persist from run to run.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Hello Hemant,

Have you had a chance to check if any of the above options help? Please let us know otherwise and we can explore further.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Hello Hemant,

Just letting you know that a new version of the Hosted VS2017 image was released on August 1, 2019 that packages 2.0.70 version of the Azure CLI.

Monday, August 26, 2019 3:09 AM