none
Very High Latency With Azure Database For Postgres

Question

• Hi,

I am expreincing very very high latency with postgres.

I have a VM running on Azure West Europe and the DB set up in West Europe as well.

On the VM I have confluence (that was running fine with low latency to the DB in a different VM but I want to migrate to Azure).

Since starting the evaluation I saw that confluence resposne times are very bad so I checked their performance dashboard and saw the latency to the DB (which is tested by doing the following simple query according to Atlassian docs: select * from CLUSTERSAFETY) is between 5-20ms and spikes to up to 80-170ms every few quries. According to their docs it should be around 0-1ms while 2-5ms indicate a latency problem.

I also took the same query and tried it with my computer (in Israel) and got 300-400ms per response.

I can kind of understand why from Israel it takes so much time but can you explain why it takes so much time in your own region?

Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom.f,

Thank you for reporting this. We would be happy to look into this, but I need a few more details from you to dig deeper into the issue. Can you please share your server name and timestamp when you experienced the latency? Also, we know that the local VM connection latency is going to be lower compared to remote managed database server, but for comparison can you please share the VM numbers too? Additionally, do you have info on the particular queries that spike up the times?

Feel free to email me at saloni(dot)sonpal(at)microsoft(dot)com

Thanks,

Saloni

• Edited by Saloni Sonpal Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:35 AM Adding email address
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:29 AM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:53 PM
  • I experience the same thing. Basically it is totally unusable as it is now. And I want to know if it is supposed to be like that. My intention was to run a live site (Django) on it. Is that doable or should I use another solution (running a da in a VM) or some other cloud provider. I can't see any reason for releasing a service that does not practically work (performance wise) so that is why I'm asking.

I posted about my issues here before: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/676b6f63-3d23-4b79-b7e5-8a8885e567aa/postgresql-offering-extremely-slow-unusable?forum=ssdsgetstarted

Best regards,

Björn

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 1:28 PM
  • May be it is time to investigate guys, or just say "we know, we are working on...". We're also facing this issue and saw it reported many time on multiple web platforms.
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:10 PM
  • Hi Saloni, 

As per right now, the situation is still the same. Azure PostgreSQL Database still have unacceptable latency. 
    I have been hosting my DB with a VM on Azure. The latency to the application using its API is at most 100ms. 

Then when I tried to switch to use Azure managed Postgresql the latency shoot up to ard 2-3 seconds. There is nothing changed in the application level. 

Could you guys at least look into it and let us know when it can be improved. Otherwise, will seriously need to consider to move to other platforms.

Nathan

Monday, September 17, 2018 12:46 AM
  • Hey all,

I was wondering if there was any progress with this issue?

I'm having the same issue and I've temporarily moved the postgres database to a VM as well.

Sean

Monday, March 18, 2019 2:23 PM