How to navigate between controls in a tool window with keyboard? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've looked at several keyboard shortcut lists for Visual studio but haven't found how I can navigate between controls within a tool Window.

For example, in the output window I'd like to navigate to "Show output from" dropdown using keyboard. How can I do this?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

I actually figured it out, Shift-Alt can be used to access the toolbar of a tool window :-)

• Marked as answer by Membrane Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:59 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:59 PM

All replies

• You can obtain this by setting the tab order of controls.

In Menu ---> View ---> Tab Order

Click each item in order that you want their tab order set.After finishing your job dont forget to turn off tab order 

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:41 AM
  • No, I think you misunderstood, It's not a question of making my own windows forms/wpf solution but in visual studio itself. There is no view - Tab Order option in the IDE for VS 2012.
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:59 AM
  • So you want to tab between the controls within a tool window using just the keyboard.  Unfortunately VS is not completely navigatable without a mouse so there are areas where you cannot just use the keyboard.  It depends upon the tool window and what you're trying to get to.  Most tool windows will have a hotkey to get to them but once there navigation will vary.  MS has commented on making this better in later versions of VS.

For the specific scenario you gave there doesn't appear to be any hotkeys for tabbing through the controls.  So you'll have to use the mouse.

Michael Taylor - 11/29/2012
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hi, 

I actually figured it out, Shift-Alt can be used to access the toolbar of a tool window :-)

• Marked as answer by Membrane Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:59 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:59 PM