none
Is it possible to use Visual Studio to build something for data collection? RRS feed

• Question

• Take this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephWxUDDxOE

The goal is to replace mailed survey to online survey in the future, the survey targets a certain group of users. It is not one time survey, it is annually. For privacy/security reason (data sensitive: government collects data from citizens, it involves name/address/DOB, etc), it is unlikely using third-party website, so we will try to learn to collect data online then send the data directly to government database.

It does not need to be fancy, as long as it has the similar feature(creating webpage to collect data from users), then it will be fine.

In order to build something with similar feature, what languages should I learn? 

By the way, how to create a website with username/password? What should I learn? It is even better for users to have account to access his/her previously submitted survey.

Just want someone point me to the right direction, and give me some general comments/suggestions.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:06 AM

Answers

• Hi VA_er,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

For your requirement, maybe you could use C# ASP.NET Core application

About advantages: 

• get started quickly
    • .Net Framework Managed Code Collection Class
    • fast development
    • good program component structure

About disadvantages:

• low performance

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by VA_er Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi VA_er,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

About advantages: 

• get started quickly
    • fast development

About disadvantages:

• low performance

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:32 AM
  • Hello, 

>What should I learn?

one of C# or VB.NET or JAVA or PYTON or (here can be unlimited number of languages)

HTML

JavaScript (plus relevant JS framework)

WEB protocols

Cookie

Databases 

SQL

WEB Services

XML/XSLT (optional).

Do I forgot something? 

Ouch... graphic design... "ergonomic"... and etc.

Sincerely, Highly skilled coding monkey.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:52 AM
  • Thank you, Andrey.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:40 PM
  • Hi VA_er,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

About advantages: 

• get started quickly
    • fast development

About disadvantages:

• low performance

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Thanks much, Dylan.

I think I will start with learning the easy development choice.

A specific question: if I use C# ASP.NET Core application, and I have a domain www.sample.com or a sharepoint site, how can I transport Visual Studio project to the website?

Could you please elaborate more about "low" performance? What do you exactly mean "low"? And how "low" (in term of plain language, such like: not able to handle too many people visiting the webpage at the same time, etc)?

What others can be considered relatively "high" performance? I mean if not limited to use Visual Studio for the project. 

Thank you very much!
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:48 PM
  • Hi VA_er,

Thank you for reply.

>>if I use C# ASP.NET Core application, and I have a domain www.sample.com or a sharepoint site, how can I transport Visual Studio project to the website?

For this question, you could access Asp.net forum.

>>Could you please elaborate more about "low" performance? What do you exactly mean "low"? And how "low" (in term of plain language, such like: not able to handle too many people visiting the webpage at the same time, etc)?

The "low" is mainly from the limitations of C# itself. There are some shortcomings in memory management and data processing. And according to your example, I think it should be more related to server performance.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

• Unmarked as answer by VA_er Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:49 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:35 AM
  • Thanks. Dylan
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:49 PM