none
DACPAC SSDT feature RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was trying to publish Azure data warehouse DACPAC via powershell from the system wherein I had installed VS 2017 and the preview SSDT.

But I am getting the below error:

The Database platform service with type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlDwDatabaseSchemaProvider is not valid.You must make sure the service is loaded,or you must provide the full type name of valid database platform.

SO is someone familiar with the error?

And what does Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlDwDatabaseSchemaProvider mean?

Do I need to install something?

Because from same system I am able to publish the DACPAC via VS 2017.

So does powershell require any additional installations to be done?

Thursday, May 9, 2019 4:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Priya,

From the SQL Server PowerShell doc (which is a great resource with regard to all things SQL PowerShell) is the Install SQL Server PowerShell module instructions. You need to ensure you keep the SqlServer PowerShell module up to date. 

A good test is to run the same commands in the Azure Cloud Shell as well as in your local PS environment to see if one environment is successful. The Azure Cloud Shell is always at the latest as long as the modules are loaded.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

What does Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlDwDatabaseSchemaProvider mean?

As i am not getting any command or installation for this.

Friday, May 10, 2019 4:35 AM
  • From what I have investigated this error pops up on a system where Visual Studio is NOT installed, or the Deploy > Extensions folder was not included in a copy attempt, if the error occurs on a system where Visual Studio is present.

Can you confirm this?

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:04 PM
  • Hello Priya,

Could you please make sure the DACPAC is generated with the appropriate target platform.

Also, could you please get the latest version of the DAC framework from here and let us know if it helps solve your problem.

-

If the above answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and “Up-Vote”, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. 
    Friday, May 31, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hello Priya,

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know. 

Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:23 PM
  • Any updates for this one?
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:18 AM