none
After I change the checkbox name for 1000 items, the check is remove from the items RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

After I change one of the names for a multi-checkbox in my list, the check is removed from 1000 random items I have check and it will be no way of knowing which items I had checked in the list. Is there anyway to change the name and keep the checkbox checked?

Mike

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Friday, August 2, 2019 2:49 PM

Answers

• I found a solution.

1. Export all items results to Excel (don't forget to make the view show all items)
    2. Copy the column you wish to change into notepad
    3. Do a find and replace of long names to abbreviated names (keep the #; )
    4. Copy all changed items into the column inside datasheet view. (Make show all workflows and the Check-in feature are turned off.
    5. verify the data with your Excel spreadsheet that was backed up.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:38 PM

All replies

• I don't think is there a way for it. if you have renamed the names if you lost the check box for the items then there is no way of getting those. unless until you have that particular database back then you can restore that specific list again.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, August 5, 2019 1:33 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Per my test in my sharepoint 2013 environment, I create the multi-checkbox in the list.

And I change the name of the multi-checkbox, the values of the multi-checkbox column still are in the items. The values of the multi-checkbox column are not removed in the items.

By default, if the name of the multi-checkbox is changed, the value of the multi-checkbox column will not be removed.

To troubleshoot the issue, you could create a new list, create a new multi-checkbox in the new list and check if the same issue will occur.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, August 5, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hello Sarah,

I'm using SharePoint 2010 and when I Change the Name of the checkbox option, the check is removed. I don't mean the name of the checkbox, but the name of the many options. Say if the name of an option is "Pizza Hunt" and "Best Pizza", I want to abbreviate these option name to "PH" and "BP". When I do the option checkbox is removed for the 1000 items in my lab environment; once I edit the item. Any ideas???

Mike  

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:49 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2010 environment, I create the multi-checkbox in the list.

And I change the name of options in the multi-checkbox, the values of the multi-checkbox column are removed when I edit the existing item.

I encountered the same issue as yours.

The workaround for the issue, you could customize the form by InfoPath and then publish the form, then the original selected choices will display when editing the item.

The result as below, I change the options “1,2,3” to “a,b,c”, then it will display the original selected options of the exiting item in the form when editing the item.

After all, you could submit a feedback to the SharePoint User Voice Platform for the issue.

http://sharepoint.uservoice.com/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about SharePoint. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 9:34 AM
  • I've worked with other products like ServiceNow and this capability exist.

How would I change 3000 records of data when the checkbox Name option is changed?

Mike Williams

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Maybe I can run a workflow on the entire Library and just tell the workflow to make the change based on existing data!

Mike Williams

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I am afraid we cannot remove the options in the multiple-checkbox by workflow.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Hi Mike,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:47 AM
  • I found a solution.

1. Export all items results to Excel (don't forget to make the view show all items)
    2. Copy the column you wish to change into notepad
    3. Do a find and replace of long names to abbreviated names (keep the #; )
    4. Copy all changed items into the column inside datasheet view. (Make show all workflows and the Check-in feature are turned off.
    5. verify the data with your Excel spreadsheet that was backed up.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

It is very happy that you have resolved your problem.

Thank you for your sharing and it will help others have the same issue.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, August 23, 2019 1:33 AM