none
Publish master project without publishing sub-projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

when managing programs in Project Online by using master projects and sub-projects it would be great to be able to Publish the master project (program) from MS Project Pro for O365 client without publishing all sub-projects and at the same time keeping the master project (program) updated when a sub-project is published/updated by the Project Manager.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Dale,

Microsoft release a patch based on our support ticket and now read-only inserted subprojects are not anymore published when the master project is published.

There is a warning indicating this when publishing the master project:

• Marked as answer by Ximet Friday, July 10, 2020 5:10 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2020 5:10 PM

All replies

• Ximet --

Why don't you create a master project with the subprojects inserted as Read-Only? Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Dale,

if we do so, then when the Project Manager updates the Project Plan it will not be reflected in the Programme (Master)....

Friday, April 3, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Ximet --

When the PMs update their individual subprojects and save them in the Project Online database, you will see these updated schedules in your master project, even though the subprojects are Read-Only.  Have you tried this approach?  If not, please try it and let us know the results.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, April 3, 2020 1:12 PM
  • Yeap, we did actually give it a try:

1. Created the master project
    2. Attached couple of sub-projects without checking "Link to project" so they are read-only (snapshots)
    3. Saved master project without publishing and checked it in
    4. Published one of the sub-projects with some updates visible on the % complete
    5. Went back to see if the sub-project in the master project received the updates and still the same version when we added it to the master

Any advice?

Thanks for helping out!

Friday, April 3, 2020 1:35 PM
  • Ximet --

Well, you did it wrong.  All you did was to create a project consisting of unlinked projects.  To create a master project consisting of subprojects that are Read-Only, complete the following steps:

1. Launch Microsoft Project and connect to Project Online.
    2. Create a new blank project, if necessary, and apply the Gantt Chart view.
    3. Click on the first blank task row.
    4. Click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon and then click the Subproject button in the Insert section of the ribbon.
    5. Select a project in the Insert project dialog.
    6. In the lower right corner of the dialog, click the Insert pick list button (the down arrow button on the Insert button) and select the Insert Read Only item on the pick list.
    7. Continue selecting blank task rows and inserting the projects Read-Only.
    8. Save the master project.

Try the steps above and let us know the results.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Ximet Friday, April 3, 2020 3:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ximet Friday, April 3, 2020 3:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ximet Friday, April 3, 2020 4:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ximet Friday, April 3, 2020 4:14 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2020 2:25 PM
  • Hi Dale,

followed the exact steps and added two sub-projects to the master project as read-only:

Both sub-projects have the read-only icon and the settings are correct:

Published the master and both sub-projects were published as well, 10:40 is the Last Published date for the master and both sub-projects Last Published is also 10:40. 10:34 is the Last Modified date for both sub-projects, when they were created.

Is this the expected behavior even if both sub-projects are inserted as read-only in the master project?

At this stage, I provided both sub-project updates to the %completed:

But when reopening the master project it does not reflect these changes if the sub-project tasks are not expanded:

When this master is published again, both sub-projects are published as well, no matter if their tasks are expanded or not.

Is there any setting in Project Online or MS Project Pro for O365 that should be reviewed?

Thanks for your help!

• Edited by Ximet Saturday, April 4, 2020 9:14 AM
    Friday, April 3, 2020 5:37 PM
  • Hi Dale,

not sure if something else is missing to not publish read-only subprojects when publishing a master project. In any case, looks like we are opening a ticket with Microsoft to double check this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 1:05 PM
  • Hi again Dale!

just received an email from Microsoft with regards of the ticket indicating this is the expected behavior:

Publishing master projects will always publish their subprojects, even if they are inserted as Read Only.

I believe this should not be the expected behavior, right?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 12:41 PM
  • Ximet --

I was not aware that publishing a master project would automatically publish subprojects that were inserted as Read-Only.  This is not the behavior I would have expected, but I am willing to admit my mistake.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 1:12 PM
  • I am surprised as well with this reply from Microsoft, not 100% sure if this is what we should expect in this situation with Read Only projects, maybe it is just the wrong Microsoft Engineer?

Have you tried recently in Project Online?

I have seen some articles stating just the opposite:

@Guillaume Rouyre:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/SECURITY/en-US/1cc69e7d-b803-4771-9c0e-96b366d49d15/master-project-publish-to-subprojects-will-it-update-master-project?forum=projectprofessional2010general

• Edited by Ximet Tuesday, April 28, 2020 6:42 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 6:40 PM
  • Ximet --

I am currently writing our company's latest book on the Microsoft Project desktop application, so I simply do not have time to test this for you in our own Project Online system.  However, I would ask you WHY the master project ever needs to be published.  Does the master project include its own tasks, in addition to the subprojects?  If the master project only consists of subprojects, I would recommend that you do not use permanent master projects.  Instead, use the Project Center page to create a temporary master project to view and analyze the selected projects together as a group of projects.  After selecting the row headers of each project you want to be a sub-project of the temporary master project, you can specify to open the selected projects Read-Only.  Study and analyze the temporary master project, as needed, then close it when finished and do not save any changes.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:00 PM
  • Hi Dale!

Well, Programmes have their own tasks in addition to subprojects, like programme documentation, stakeholders follow ups, milestones, etc.

Programmes have their own sites as well to store Programmes documentation, risks, issues, etc.

On the other hand Programmes are presented in Power BI reports to display % complete, risks, issues, list of projects for each Programme, etc.

I guess using a temporary master project will not work with this requirements... but thanks a lot for taking time to help on this!

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:40 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Microsoft release a patch based on our support ticket and now read-only inserted subprojects are not anymore published when the master project is published.

There is a warning indicating this when publishing the master project:

• Marked as answer by Ximet Friday, July 10, 2020 5:10 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2020 5:10 PM