none
Azure backup - Generating backup metadata - over 30 days RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to backup my fileserver using Azure backup. Every time I start the backup it hangs on "Generating backup metadata information..." and never completes the job. I read several posts where folks said to just wait it out, some saying it took as long as 48 hours to complete this phase and begin backing up data. Well, I tried that and waited patiently, and on the last attempt which started 5/17/19 I finally gave up today on 6/17/19. That's a bit more than 48 hours, and it never got past this step.

I have uninstalled Azure Backup agent and reinstalled, I have unregistered my server and re-registered it, I have deleted any old backups and completely started from scratch, all with the same result. I have multiple servers at this location, and my other servers backup just fine... it's just this one that is giving me grief. I started with a full backup of my storage disk and a system state backup, then I have gradually scaled it down hoping that perhaps it was too large of a data set. I am now down to just my Shares and nothing else... no system disk, no system state, just a few shared folders that are well under 1TB of total data.

Any suggestions on what might solve this dilemma? Short of trashing my whole file server and starting from scratch?

Thanks for any insight.

MikeC

Monday, June 17, 2019 7:28 PM

Answers

• Update - not sure what happened... I changed my settings and asked for backups of selected folders from my C: and D: drives, restarted the process and after 10 minutes of generating metadata it has begun transferring data. The only other thing I did differently was to go to Disk Manager and saw that I had a "Disk 1" that was 200.0 GB with a bunch of unallocated space (1400GB+). This is a virtual machine with one VHD, with partitions for my C: and D: drives, so I set Disk 1 (the extra one) to offline. I then started the backup again with selected files/folders from both my C: and D: drives, and Disk Manager now showed two extra disks, Disk 1 and Disk 2. As I watched Disk Manager they both began to grow in size until they reached the approximate data size on each disk I was trying to back up. Then, data began transferring in Azure backup.

I can only assume that somehow the process hung up on a previous backup during the creation of the virtual backup disks (Disk 1 and 2??) and by taking the virtual disk offline it unfreezed it. This may be entirely coincidental, but if you are having the same issue, perhaps try checking your Disk Manager to see if you have an extra virtual disk that is hung up in the process?

Data transfer is continuing without any hitch at this point, so I assume my data is actually backing up this time.

Hope this helps someone else.

MikeC

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• What is the size of your scratch location? %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent\Scratch

I have seen it cause issues like this when it does not have enough space. The recommendation is for this location to be at least 5% of the data backed up to the cloud in size.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:50 PM
  • Looks like it is creating a 2.00GB cache for each disk when starting the backup. I don't see anywhere to set the size, it appears the Azure backup program is setting that on its own.
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Update - not sure what happened... I changed my settings and asked for backups of selected folders from my C: and D: drives, restarted the process and after 10 minutes of generating metadata it has begun transferring data. The only other thing I did differently was to go to Disk Manager and saw that I had a "Disk 1" that was 200.0 GB with a bunch of unallocated space (1400GB+). This is a virtual machine with one VHD, with partitions for my C: and D: drives, so I set Disk 1 (the extra one) to offline. I then started the backup again with selected files/folders from both my C: and D: drives, and Disk Manager now showed two extra disks, Disk 1 and Disk 2. As I watched Disk Manager they both began to grow in size until they reached the approximate data size on each disk I was trying to back up. Then, data began transferring in Azure backup.

I can only assume that somehow the process hung up on a previous backup during the creation of the virtual backup disks (Disk 1 and 2??) and by taking the virtual disk offline it unfreezed it. This may be entirely coincidental, but if you are having the same issue, perhaps try checking your Disk Manager to see if you have an extra virtual disk that is hung up in the process?

Data transfer is continuing without any hitch at this point, so I assume my data is actually backing up this time.

Hope this helps someone else.

MikeC

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:03 PM
  • @MikeC Thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you. This would be a great help for others on this community.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 11:49 AM