none
Repair or Replace SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition. RRS feed

• Question

• The mandatory update from Microsoft this past week seems to have trashed my ability to import Excel files into SQL Server.  It says Excel isn't a valid connection manager type.  I've reinstalled Office and the ACE Database Runtimes, with no success.

My next idea is to reinstall or repair SQL Server 2017, the developer edition.  I started to try repair, but that requires the install media files.  On the download website, there are two options: an ISO or CAB files.  I'm not sure which the repair needs.  If you can tell me, that might help.

Further if you have any other suggestions on remedying this error, that would be great:

The connection type "EXCEL, {8FD37A45-01A4-210C-6C6D-575139717076}" specified for connection manager "{F118BC96-4456-4B60-A69F-1E69A7BACCFF}" is not recognized as a valid connection manager type. This error is returned when an attempt is made to create a connection manager for an unknown connection type. Check the spelling in the connection type name.

------------------------------

In SSMS, I clicked on on of the databases and selected Task, then import data, select Excel, and I see this error immediately.

I'm running SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition and the most current version of SSDT (just downloaded and installed as an attempt to fix this issue).  The machine is 64-bit Windows 2012 R2.

I'm running Microsoft Office 365 64-bit, but again, things have been running perfectly until today with SSIS accessing Excel.

My guess is that something, perhaps in yesterday's Windows update corrupted, whatever it is that SQL needs to connect to an Excel data source, but that's only a guess.

I have installed the 64-bit versions of 

Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0

Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.15.0

Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0

Any possible solution?  Is there something I need to reinstall?  Please advise.

Saturday, January 18, 2020 6:40 AM

All replies

• I've downloaded the media - both the ISO and the CAB version - into my downloads folder.  When I try to click "Repair" the SQL Server 2017 Developer edition from Programs and Features, and navigate to the Downloads folder, I get a message saying it isn't a valid installation media folder.

How do I point the 'Repair" to the appropriate folder when I can't navigate inside of Downloads?  I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Karen

Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:07 AM
  • You would have to extract the ISO or CAB. Double-click the ISO and there will be a Explorer Window open. The just drag the files elsewhere on the disk.

I would not have high hopes that this addresses the problem, but that is just my gut feeling. I could be wrong.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, January 18, 2020 10:28 AM
  • I was able to repair SQL 2017 successfully, and the problem with connecting to Excel did not resolve.  I'm not sure what to do.
    Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:12 PM
  • I would try to remove it first and then reinstall it.

A Fan of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS

Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:07 AM
  • I don't think SQL is the problem.  The problem seems to be with the Excel connection manager.  I've opened a support case with Microsoft.  Hopefully, they'll see this was the result of the update and refund their charge for the incident.
    Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:20 AM
  • Hi Karen Grube,

Thanks for your reply.

If you resolve this issue, please share your experience and solution here.

It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:23 AM
  • I will!  But Microsoft and I are still trying to figure it out.  I hope they come up with an answer tomorrow.

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:25 AM
  • Hi Karen Grube,

What progress has been made?

I will wait for your update and would like to know what is happening there.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:51 AM
  • Every time I try working with Microsoft, they tell me to uninstall and reinstall whatever program it is, whether it's SQL, SSDT or Office.  Every time I follow their instructions, something goes wrong, and it takes they forever to get back to me.

The paid support incident is still open, and I don't have any answers yet.  I can't get either SSRS or SSIS to work today.  They're blaming missing dll's, which I think should have been added as part of their uninstall/reinstall process.  They keep making me run logs, fiddler, and process monitor sessions and upload them, but they're not responding when I do.

YEASH!
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:24 PM