none
are vs distributables a prereq to installing ssas stand alone RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Hi db042190,

>>should we plan on some sort of vs download before we attempt to install ssas standalone? 

No, we don't have to do that. When we click setup to start installation, the installation wizard would remind you which software components need to be installed in current server before SSAS instance installation. Once you come across that scenario, you don't have to cancel that wizard of SSAS installation. You could install these mentioned software components, then continue SSAS installation.

Best Regards,

Will 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:14 AM
  • Thx Will, I don't understand your answer.   I'm asking if ssas install will tell me to do something with "vs distributables" before the actual install can continue.  I don't know what vs distributables are.   I like answers like this available before an install.
    • Edited by db042190 Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:36 AM first response was too harsh
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:26 AM
  • vs distributables = "Visual Studio Distributables".

SSMS is a plugin for Visual Studio, it's mentioned in the splash screen on startup.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by db042190 Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:05 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:55 AM
  • thx Olaf, pls bear with me.

So I was planning on installing ssms separately from the ssas standalone because my understanding is that there is a separate media now for ssms.  My dba has both install files waiting for me in a directory visible to the new vm.

so is the whole/any dependency on vs because of ssms, not ssas?  And when I go to install ssms (I don't think order ssas first or ssms first matters) , will the media (like Will suggested) have available the vs distributables or direct me to a website for first downloading the vs stuff or none of the above? I see IE installed there on the vm already , hopefully that will be sufficient. 

Thursday, September 19, 2019 12:35 PM
  • Yes, SSMS is a separate installer, you can get the latest Version from Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)

Only .NET must be installed, all other requirements Comes with the SSMS installer

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by db042190 Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:05 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 12:44 PM
  • thx, and as I recall , when .net comes up, the installer offers to install it for you if not already there.
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:05 PM
  • I wasn't paying really close attention but I just installed ssms ahead of stand alone ssas on a new vm.   And like Olaf suggested, no dependency (I don't think) on vs distributables when the ssas install is running.  

You cant see anything about the ssms install's prereqs/features cuz all you get is a dos window when it installs.  And (only) when the dos window disappears do you know the install is done.   

Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:28 PM