How to pass complex typed argument in Azure runbook schedule's parameter? RRS feed

• Question

• In Azure portal UI,

I created a simple runbook as follows,

param (
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)][object]$user
    )

Write-Output $user.Name

And created a schedule for that runbook with "Parameters and run settings" as follows,

{ "Name": "vm1" }

When run this schedule at specified time, it seems it failed to de-serialize { "Name": "vm1" } as $user object. The result of $user.Name is null.

I checked the settings of parameters on the schedule by entering to "Parameters View input parameters" in Azure portal UI, it is set by this,

{ \"Name\": \"vm1\" }

I think, it failed because of escaping of \".

It has to show like this,

{ "Name": "vm1" }

I tested it by creating with PowerShell client code,

$vmParams = '{ "Name": "vm1" }' | ConvertFrom-Json
    $runbookParams = @{"user"=$vmParams}
    Register-AzureRmAutomationScheduledRunbook -AutomationAccountName "testrunbook" -RunbookName "stop_vm" -ScheduleName "Schedule01" -ResourceGroupName "myservice2" -Parameters $runbookParams

It shows expected results { "Name" : "vm1" } in Azure portal UI.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:06 AM

Answers

• Change your input parameter to type [PSObject] rather than [object].  That should automatically convert your json input into a PSObject typed object.
    Monday, June 4, 2018 6:00 PM

All replies

• Change your input parameter to type [PSObject] rather than [object].  That should automatically convert your json input into a PSObject typed object.
    Monday, June 4, 2018 6:00 PM

It works. Thanks. :)

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:37 AM