none
Microsoft sites (internet) not working windows Azure VM

Question

• Internet access seems to be intermittent on my Azure VMs. I have setup a Azure VM and installed DC (Domain controller) and AD (active directory) on it.

Now when I try to access internet it does not work. Interesting thing is that only MSFT sites dont work. I started www.google.com and typed - download sql server 2012. I get proper result but when click go to download from MSFT site it says - Page not found.

I can access gmail.com from the VM but outlook.com does not work.

I have no idea why it is behaving like this.

FYI - I have created 2 more VMs and installed SharePoint farm on it and made them join the domain using DC created earlier.

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:58 PM

Answers

• Posting it so that it can help somone else facing same issue.

I stopped all my vms. I removed my dns server from virtual network which was my first vm. Now after starting the VM I could access internet and download sql server 2012.

Once my download was complete I turned off all the vms. Again added the dns server to my virtual network and restarted the VMs. Now again I was not able to access the MSFT sites

It looks like something is causing conflict in MSFT sites and dns entry in Azure virtual network. As of now I can use this workaround to download the required softwares.

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 8:20 PM

All replies

• Posting it so that it can help somone else facing same issue.

I stopped all my vms. I removed my dns server from virtual network which was my first vm. Now after starting the VM I could access internet and download sql server 2012.

Once my download was complete I turned off all the vms. Again added the dns server to my virtual network and restarted the VMs. Now again I was not able to access the MSFT sites

It looks like something is causing conflict in MSFT sites and dns entry in Azure virtual network. As of now I can use this workaround to download the required softwares.

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Is there any other workaround for this? My VM can't access the internet at all when there is a DNS server in my virtual network
    • Edited by mark_chen25 Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Hi Mark,

At this point I don't have any other workaround. I am also waiting on explanation on why this happens and what is the actual fix.

I will update this thread once I have accurate information

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:03 PM
  • I came across this thread as I had the same problem. 

I managed to resolve it by adding a second DNS server to my virtual network configuration (e.g. 8.8.8.8) after the address of my own DNS server.

After which, reboot your VMs and browsing should be more reliable. There is probably a way to configure the local DNS server itself to forward or recurse to another server with a reliable method of getting data, but that is getting into the black arts of DNS server configuration.

Hope it works for you.

Duncan

• Proposed as answer by MHPDUK Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Hi Duncan,

Thanks for that. I will try it out when I again venture with VMs

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for the steer on this 1Duncan.

I've just confirmed that adding 8.8.8.8 as a forwarder for my internal DNS actually resolves the issue - without requiring the Azure DNS configuration change and subsequent reboot.

Initially I was going to add the Azure DNS entry (163.63.129.16) after reading another thread, as I assumed my internal DNS was just falling back to root hints - however that entry is already present on my system.  I wonder if perhaps there is a loop occurring and the requests simply reach their TTL expiry?

Adding 8.8.8.8, even when leaving the Azure DNS entry in place, resolved the problem.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:15 PM