none
storageaccount backup when firewall and vnet are enabled RRS feed

• Question

• good day

we have a storage account with a file share configured. i need to protect this storageaccount with azure backup. i have found different information about the support of storageaccount with vnet/firewall enabled.

"The support to Backup File shares in accounts with VNET is now available in preview in WCUS and AE" -> docs.microsoft.com as answer for a user question

"Azure Backup now supports storage accounts secured with Azure Storage Firewalls and Virtual Networks" -> azure.microsoft.com

"You can't protect Azure file shares in storage accounts that have Virtual Networks or Firewall enabled." -> docs.microsoft.com

at the moment, we have firewall/vnet enabled on the storageaccount. azure backup does not find a storage account to protect, even when i have the option "Allow trusted MS Services to access this storage account" enabled.

If i disable firewall / vnet i'm able to configure the azure backup job for this storageaccount. so it seems, at the moment it is not supported.... even if some documents say it should work

->> What is the official statement about azure backup for storage accounts with enabled firewall/vnet. When can we expect it to work in europe region?

Thanks

Monday, July 29, 2019 12:45 PM

All replies

• Could you share the document where you found this info :"Azure Backup now supports storage accounts secured with Azure Storage Firewalls and Virtual Networks" -> azure.microsoft.com:?

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Hello

Here is the link

https://azure.microsoft.com/es-es/blog/azure-backup-now-supports-storage-accounts-secured-with-azure-storage-firewalls-and-virtual-networks/

In the document they write about vm which have unmanaged disks on the storage account. maybe it works just for this case and not for other "services" in the storageaccount like file services? 

Best Regards

• Edited by andre_80 Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:50 PM
  • The support for backing up File Shares in VNET/Firewall enabled storage accounts is in limited preview in 7 select regions. As far as this goes, the post clearly mentions that the support is in fact for Azure VMs. This has been clarified by Saurabh Sensharma through his responses to comments on the post.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:34 AM