How to solve "Error querying project collections"? RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I tried to connect to our team foundation server on ourserver.visualstudio.com and TFS/eclipse responded with
    Error querying project collections: node.isNodeDependenciesIncluded()

I tried a fresh copy of eclipse and TFS plugin in another computer and I received the same message.

This is eclipse/java information:
    eclipse.buildId=4.5.1.M20150904-0015
    java.version=1.8.0_65
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation

This is the TFS plugin information:
    Product ID: 01477-169-250456-016581
    Plugin Version: 14.0.2.20151228 16xx

And this is something that I found on the log:
    !ENTRY com.microsoft.tfs.client.common 4 0 2016-01-21 10:01:29.311
    !MESSAGE Error querying project collections: node.isNodeDependenciesIncluded()
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: node.isNodeDependenciesIncluded()
    at com.microsoft.tfs.util.Check.throwForFalse(Check.java:173)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.util.Check.isTrue(Check.java:115)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.catalog.CatalogService.processCatalogData(CatalogService.java:562)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.catalog.CatalogService.queryNodes(CatalogService.java:310)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.catalog.CatalogService.queryNodes(CatalogService.java:266)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.configuration.internal.TFSCatalogEntitySession.loadChildren(TFSCatalogEntitySession.java:164)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.configuration.catalog.TFSCatalogEntity.getChildrenList(TFSCatalogEntity.java:151)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.configuration.catalog.TFSCatalogEntity.getChildrenOfType(TFSCatalogEntity.java:174)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.core.clients.framework.configuration.catalog.TeamFoundationServerCatalogEntity.getProjectCollections(TeamFoundationServerCatalogEntity.java:24)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.client.common.commands.configuration.QueryProjectCollectionsCommand.doRun(QueryProjectCollectionsCommand.java:64)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.client.common.framework.command.Command.run(Command.java:100)
    at com.microsoft.tfs.client.common.framework.command.RunnableCommandAdapter.run(RunnableCommandAdapter.java:106)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:20 PM

Answers

• OK. We've worked with the proper TFS feature team to roll back changes to the Catalog Service and also verified that the rollback allows TEE to connect to VSTS.  It's possible that you may need to restart TEE.   The change has been deployed to all affected scale units (SUs) and should be fixed.  SUs that haven't been updated yet should not be affected either.  If anyone still sees the issue, please let us know and we can engage with you directly.

Thanks a bunch for your patience (and for reporting the issue)!

• Marked as answer by Not Illogical Monday, January 25, 2016 10:59 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 10:39 PM

All replies

• Getting same error with the following environment:

eclipse.buildId=4.5.1.M20150904-0015
    java.version=1.8.0_66
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation

Tried the following with no luck:

1. New workspace

2. -clean during eclipse startup

3. removed TFS directories under AppData/Microsoft...

Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:49 PM
  • BTW I also removed the Team Foundation directory on

C:\Users\myUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation

Thanks

Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:59 PM
  • I also am having this same issue/error when connecting to a TFS online server.  We first noticed it today.  

My installation was a fresh eclipse, TFS Everywhere installations as well.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:24 PM
  • This is also happening to me now. It worked the day before yesterday. I'm using Version: Luna Service Release 2 (4.4.2) Build id: 20150219-0600.

I'm able to connect to our internal 2010 TFS server without issue.

Connecting to VSTS gives the error Error querying project collections: node.isNodeDependenciesIncluded()

Friday, January 22, 2016 12:06 PM
  • We are having the same issue with VSTS.  We are using different versions of eclipse between devs but we all have this same problem, and only with the plug in (through visual studio on Windows we have no problems).  I'm using Luna 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.  It stopped working at approximately 4pm on Wednesday, January 20th.  I've opened a ticket with MS but haven't heard much about it.

I updated the plugin and the jdk to the latest versions to no avail.  I also cleared the entire plug in cache, and then cleared the entire plugin folder (.microsoft/Team Foundation) and reinstalled the plug in, but those didn't change anything either.  I also can't seem to connect using TEE command line client (authentication error).  I don't know if that's related or not.  I know the plug in uses the CLC, but I get the project collections error in eclipse, not an authentication error.

• Edited by McTinket Friday, January 22, 2016 2:58 PM more information
    Friday, January 22, 2016 2:56 PM
  • I am also facing the same issue since yesterday. Looks like there is a problem with Team Foundation server itself. We all are facing this problem since yesterday only.
    Friday, January 22, 2016 3:24 PM
  • This is my first time participating on this forum and I haven't working for too much time with TFS, then, my question is: can we expect that some Microsoft people are reading this forum? or should I (we) open a support ticket in another site to have help on this issue?

Thank you.

"Is not illogical, we only need more information..."

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:20 PM
  • The same problem here with me, since yesterday. 
    Friday, January 22, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

I tried it with TEE 14.0 today, it works fine. Did you connect to the VSO through UI and have that issue? Do you have that issue now?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 2:33 AM
  • My two cents,

There is still an error when querying an account created before 1/21/16, now further testing shows that a freshly created account after this date works as expected but creates a nice headache for those who need access to their older accounts, then using a workspace that was already connected to projects from those accounts shows that if you restart and try to connect after a few go-arounds it will work once briefly and then error every time after. Using Visual Studio 2012 I can access all accounts regardless of when they were created but still does not help the fact that TEE < 14.0 can not connect without the java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: node.isNodeDependenciesIncluded() from TEE.

Thanks

Sunday, January 24, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Hey Starain,

I just tried connecting through Eclipse with TEE 14.0.2 again and got the same error as before (error querying project collections).  The command line client (14.0 as well) still doesn't authenticate at all (still not sure if it's related).  If you mean did I connect to VSO through the UI in eclipse, then yes. If you mean the UI somewhere else, I'm not sure what you mean.

I haven't heard anything on my ticket with MS since Thursday last week as well.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Since you are having the same issue, I suggest that you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding. After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.   

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:18 AM
  • As a followup, I tried again this morning and was able to pull code as before. I'm hoping it's fixed. Thanks!
    Monday, January 25, 2016 1:01 PM
  • I tried this morning and same error message:

Error querying project collections: node.isNodeDependenciesIncluded()

Thank you.

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Feedback has been opened:

ID: 2282701
    Type: Bug
    Access Restriction: Public

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Several members of our team here locally are having the same problem.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 8:50 PM
  • Hi everyone.  We've been able to reproduce this internally and have engaged the proper TFS feature team.  It appears there may have been a regression in the Catalog Service during our latest deployment to VSTS (VSO) which did occur back around the 20th.  (You can see the calls to the Catalog Service in the callstack above.)

No ETA at this point but understand that we're actively investigating.

Monday, January 25, 2016 9:28 PM
  • OK. We've worked with the proper TFS feature team to roll back changes to the Catalog Service and also verified that the rollback allows TEE to connect to VSTS.  It's possible that you may need to restart TEE.   The change has been deployed to all affected scale units (SUs) and should be fixed.  SUs that haven't been updated yet should not be affected either.  If anyone still sees the issue, please let us know and we can engage with you directly.

Thanks a bunch for your patience (and for reporting the issue)!

• Marked as answer by Not Illogical Monday, January 25, 2016 10:59 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 10:39 PM
  • Looks like it is working again, I will have the team verify and update this ticket Tues AM.

Thanks!

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Is working for me.

I'll mark this question an answered.

Thank you.

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:57 PM
  • Hi Jeff, 

We are also having this issue.  Would like assistance fixing the catalog problem.

Thanks,

Beth

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:35 PM