none
Surface 2.0 original Windows 7 install ISO RRS feed

• General discussion

• Bump

Hello all,

We just acquired a used SUR40 and are excited to use it to port our original raw image processing algorithm that expands the touch parameter feature set to include finger forces exerted on the surface. Surprised to see how little info and other resources related to this unique platform are still available. We need all the help we can get LOL. We would greatly appreciate any references to a repository of SUR40 and Surface 2.0 info and data.

Our device had Windows 10 installed on it when we acquired it. It is slow and the Surface software does not seem to run properly. We boosted the memory to 16 gig which helped and we are about to install a RAID 0 SSD array. We would like to restore the device to its factory state and to that end would like to obtain either: (1) an original Windows 7 installation ISO customized with the Surface 2 drivers, or (2) instructions on how to install and customize an OEM Windows 7 embedded OS. Any help greatly appreciated. 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:06 PM

All replies

• I too have recently acquired a SUR40 and I'm having trouble finding any sort of software archive, drivers, or anything for the table. That said, mine seems to have an original install of Windows 7 x64 on it from 2013, and my friend who helped me get this table has a well used one with a bit more software installed than mine.  I intend to make an ISO clone of my drive and his, and see if I can extract the original install files from the recovery section of the Windows 7 install. I would love to see what kind of software you might develop for this fantastic machine, and to aid you I'm happy to share any drivers or files I can retrieve from the two tables I have access to! Feel free to reach out to me at LonelyRaven@hotmail.com We are also putting together a Facebook group to steer any SUR40 owners to so we can share any information and developments! Feel free to reach out to me, anyone that's interested in contributing! ~Eric~ 

Monday, August 27, 2018 2:08 PM
  • Well Hello! Eric,

It is very hard to get programs and info related to the SUR40 product. It was a complete flop from a business perspective because it did not have adequate suppression of ambient light. In fact it had none so you can only operate it in a low light environment. Not a really bright move from a business perspective(no pun intended) and it is so easy to correct that problem. If you PM me, I can tell you how. 

Anyway, since it appears to have been an embarrassment to Microsoft, they appear to have erased large portions of the support pages for it. It's almost like the device never existed LOL.

There is NO repeat NO info available from MSOFT and I have been unable to obtain the reference manual for the SDK. And the hardware is only six years old so there should still be lots of info out there on it, but there is not. 

I did connect with a gentleman in Denmark who had done a lot of software development for the SUR40 when it was still on the market. He sent me a complete WIM file for the OEM version of Windows 7 for SUR40. I can definitely pass that on you. What exact info are you looking for?

When I try to install the Surface  2.0 SDK in visual studio it tells me it cannot install the help files. I do not know if this is an issue with the specialized Visual Studio help system, or that some file that used to be on the internet has been deleted.

That's where I am at with it right now and happy to share with you.

Dave

PS: We upgraded the disk and memory so that the slowest component in the system is the CPU. This squeezes every last bit of performance out of the CPU. First, we upgraded the memory to 16 GB. Then we updated drive 0 to a 512 GB RAID 0 array of two 256 GB M.2 SSDs. We got a plug in board from Amazon that created the RAID from the two M.2. We did this because a single SSD only puts out about 3.5 GB/sec. but the SATA 2 standard (to which the SUR40 conforms) is 6.0 GB/sec. By using every bit of available bandwidth, the performance of the upgraded device is pretty reasonable.
    • Edited by Homedoc2k Friday, August 31, 2018 7:39 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2018 7:08 PM
  • Hi Homedoc2k,

I too have a SUR40 and desperately need an original wim file to correct some issues with my device. Is there some way of acquiring a copy from you Sir?

I have upgraded my ram to 16GB, and have replaced the original HD to a 1TB SSD. (I too would like to have a raid installation to improve the speed, but need more info on how to achieve this).

Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

S/

Randy Gaspard

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Hi Randy,

I'd be happy to help you out. Quite busy for the next few days but should be able to dig it up for over the coming weekend.

WRT the SSD raid: the data rate of a single SSD is about 4, and the official spec. for data transmission is 6. SO if you want to meet the 6, you need to combine two SSD in a Raid 0 configuration, which doubles your data rate. I used 2 M2 SSDs in a little RAID controller board that I got on Amazon (there are several listed). You just install the two M2 packages on the board and away you go. 

How shall we transfer the wim file to you? You can email me at drdave 99 11 atsign gmail, of course you have to remove all the spaces.

Dave

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 8:32 PM