Problem with moving files via SFTP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    First of all, I am sorry if this is the wrong place of asking this question; I am new to these forums and Microsoft Azure.
    So here's my problem on Azure.
    I am trying to move a folder on my computer to my vm on Azure. (ubuntu 18.04 lts)
    I tried using a SFTP client (WinSCP), i tried using psftp (a command based sftp) and also I tried using scp on cmd, but they all give me the "Permission denied" error. When I am SSH-ing to the vm, i can easily do "sudo su" to get admin perms, but I don't know how to do that if I'm on a SFTP client.
    Any help would be really helpful.
    Thanks,
    Sidi

Friday, May 22, 2020 7:51 AM

All replies

• We're migrating from MSDN to Microsoft Q&A as our new forums and Azure Virtual Machine has already made the move! In future, you can ask and look for the discussion for Azure Virtual Machine related questions on the respective forums: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/azure-virtual-machines.html  Note: Since this thread did not land in the right forum it would be moved to the appropriate forum.

We are actively working to onboard remaining Azure services on Microsoft Q&A. We will make a public announcement once complete.  Want to Learn more about new platform, see Microsoft Q&A Getting Started: https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/articles/388/microsoft-qa-frequently-asked-questions.html

However let me share some insight! 

Try using Azcopy, Powershell or Storage Explorer.

Azcopy is a command-line utility designed for copying data to and from Microsoft Azure Blob, File, and Table storage using simple commands with optimal performance. You can copy data from one object to another within your storage account, or between storage accounts.

You can also use Azure files from on-prem to Azure

Additional information: Choose an Azure solution for data transfer

Connecting Securely to Microsoft Azure Service with SFTP or FTPS

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, May 22, 2020 10:59 AM
  • Any update on this?

If the proposed answer was useful please remember to "Upvote" and "Mark as Answer"

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 9:57 AM
  •  Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 3:33 PM