How do I access retry-after for paging? RRS feed

• Question

• I have this code and it is working but have trouble with throttling since some apps have a lot of sign-ins. My goal is to get total sign in for a particular app.

var authenticationProvider = new MsalAuthenticationProvider(cca, scopes.ToArray());           

GraphServiceClient graphClient = new GraphServiceClient(authenticationProvider);           

graphClient = new GraphServiceClient(authenticationProvider);

var task = Task.Run(async () => await _graphClient.AuditLogs.SignIns.Request().Filter("appDisplayName eq 'MyApp'").GetAsync());
    if (!task.IsCompleted)
    {
                    Thread.Sleep(1000);
                }

var retrievedUser = task.Result;

//then do looping

while (retrievedUser.count > 0) {

if (retrievedUser.NextPageRequest != null) {

//do something

task=retrievedUser.NextPageRequest.GetAsync()

while (!task.IsCompleted)
                        {
                            Thread.Sleep(200);
                            SText("SLEEP");
                        }
                        retrievedUser = task.Result;
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        break;
                    }
                }

// do more stuff

Now, if x anount of time I run, it breaks because I get the throttling. So, the value is ok if I don't hit the limit.

Now, if I do hit throttling, is there a way I can ask my app to stop and wait? I know in articles that you can get retry-after, but i have check the content and header and couldn't find it. I read that you need to use RetryHandler. I have no clue how to use it.

Any sugguestions? Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:56 AM

All replies

• @M Nor Azmil,

When you implement your app's error handling, use the HTTP error code 429 to detect the need for client-side throttling. If the request fails again with an HTTP 429 error code, you are still encountering an Azure service limit. Continue to use the recommended client-side throttling method, retrying the request until it succeeds.

Below is the code that implements exponential backoff:

Retry =
            {
                Delay= TimeSpan.FromSeconds(2),
                MaxDelay = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(16),
                MaxRetries = 5,
                Mode = RetryMode.Exponential
             }

On HTTP error code 429, your client will use an exponential backoff approach:

Wait 1 second, retry request
    If still throttled wait 2 seconds, retry request
    If still throttled wait 4 seconds, retry request
    If still throttled wait 8 seconds, retry request
    If still throttled wait 16 seconds, retry request

At this point, you should not be getting HTTP 429 response codes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please "accept as answer" or "vote as helpful" wherever the information provided helps you to help others in the community.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're migrating from MSDN to Microsoft Q&A as our new forums and Azure Active Directory has already made the move!  In future, you can ask and look for the discussion for Azure Active Directory related questions here:    https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/topics/azure-active-directory.html.

Monday, February 24, 2020 5:12 AM