none
Modifying Azure Postgres Database redundancy from Local to Geo RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I have an Azure Postgres Database in which at the time of creation I set up as Local redundancy. Since there is only one Availability Zone in AustraliaEast region the redundancy doesn't make much sense. Hence why, I'm trying to modify the redundancy to Geo replication which is not supported.

Could you please provide me with the best and fastest solution to make my database Geo redundant?

Thanks,

Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi ArashSafavi,

Can you please confirm the pricing tier you are currently subscribed? 

The fastest way to arrive at a geo-redundant PostgreSQL configuration is to use pg_dump and psql to export the current database data, recreate the PostgreSQL instance, followed by importing the data back into the new geo-replicated instance: 

Migrate your PostgreSQL database using export and import 

Is this a production database...can you afford any downtime?

• Marked as answer by ArashSafavi Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:01 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:44 AM

All replies

• The fastest way to make your Azure Database for PostgreSQL geo redundant is to enable your geo-redundant backups on the pricing tier of the Azure Portal.  See more information about geo-redundant backups here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/postgresql/concepts-backup 

Diana Putnam

dianas@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:25 AM
  • Hi Diana,

I have tried but unfortunately as mentioned before, changing the backup redundancy is not supported after the initial creation of the database.

So I cannot do it. can you please let me know what other options are available?

Thanks,

Arash@C3

Thursday, November 15, 2018 10:35 PM
  • Hi Diana,

Could you please give me an update?

Thanks,

Arash@C3

Sunday, November 18, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Hi ArashSafavi,

Can you please confirm the pricing tier you are currently subscribed? 

The fastest way to arrive at a geo-redundant PostgreSQL configuration is to use pg_dump and psql to export the current database data, recreate the PostgreSQL instance, followed by importing the data back into the new geo-replicated instance: 

Migrate your PostgreSQL database using export and import 

Is this a production database...can you afford any downtime?

• Marked as answer by ArashSafavi Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:01 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

I was hoping that Microsoft has any other way to export and import data into a new Database to expedite the process.

thanks for the explanation and solution. The environment is an early stage of a production environment (Compute Gen 5).

I still can export and import the database since it has not been loaded yet.

Cheers,

Arash@C3

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:50 AM