Our Azure PoA Ethereum blockchain is stuck due to peers dropping off (and restarting them appears problematic) RRS feed

• Question

• Our Azure PoA Ethereum blockchain is stuck due to peers dropping off.

When I visited my admin screen, I found that one of my validation nodes wasn't running.

I used the Azure Portal to restart it but it came up as a Transaction node.  It also now has a much higher block number than my validation node AND that block number is increasing a lot more rapidly (so the validation node will never catch up).

1.  What does this disparity in block numbers mean?

2.  How can I change my Transaction node back to a Validator node (or will it magically happen)?

3.  Is there some sort of tool to check the status of nodes and restart them when necessary?

4.  The blockchain is still stuck.  What else can I check/do?

5. [Unrelated but ongoing]  We cannot connect to the web socket endpoint on any of our nodes despite using a varietyy of tools.  Has anyone succeeded in doing so?  What is the trick?  We need web sockets to be able to subscribe to events.

Thanks in advance!

-- Mark

Thursday, April 30, 2020 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Mark,

Apologize for the late response.

We are requesting Azure Blockchain Team to help with your current questions, in the meantime did you take a look at the tools on our samples repo here?: Ethereum on Azure 

BlockScout Integration: BlockScout is an open-source, real-time Ethereum block explorer which enables users to inspect and analyze blocks, transactions and accounts on any EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine) blockchain network.

Validator Set Contract: This directory contains a set of smart-contracts used for Authority Governance in Ethereum Proof-of-Authority Consortium. This is an implementation of Parity Ethereum's Validator Set contract interface.

Benchmarking Tool: This is a useful tool for benchmarking the impact of network changes on performance.

Thank you!

Friday, May 8, 2020 7:44 AM
  • Hello Mark,

"[Unrelated but ongoing]  We cannot connect to the web socket endpoint on any of our nodes despite using a varietyy of tools.  Has anyone succeeded in doing so?  What is the trick?  We need web sockets to be able to subscribe to events."  - In order to subscribe to events you can use parity pubsub
    Currently websocket connections to parity nodes is restricted to parity pubsub module , and attaching to geth is not allowed.  Please follow this link- 

You can use the above to get details of rpc calls.

Thanks

Microsoft Azure Blockchain Team

Friday, May 22, 2020 7:27 AM
  • @Mark Waser (Digital Wisdom)

Have you had a chance to see the above responses? If that doesn't help, request you to share the docker container logs for further help. You can ssh and check the logs for docker container where the blockchain is running. Once you collect the logs please send us @ Azcommunity at microsoft dot com along with this issue link. Without the logs we are unable to debug the issue and provide further help in this regard.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:57 AM
  • @Mark Waser (Digital Wisdom)

Please send us the logs from the node that crashed for further troubleshooting. It will help us to debug the issue and provide an update as earliest.

Friday, May 29, 2020 11:23 AM