none
Mage.exe creates an invalid manifest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I create a ClickOnce package using Visual Studio and everything works fine - I can deploy it successfully. However, if I create the package using mage.exe (I follow exactly the instructtions published by Microsoft) I get this error when i launch MyClientApp.application:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Deploy\MyClientApp.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Exception reading manifest from file:///C:/Deploy/1.7.0.12/MyClientApp.exe.manifest: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
      + Parsing and DOM creation of the manifest resulted in error. Following parsing errors were noticed:
       -HRESULT:  0x80070c81
        Start line:  0
        Start column:  0
        Host file:  
      + Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070C81

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While creating the manifest, mage.exe throws a couple of warnings about assemblies with same identity, but in the end of the process claims that the manifest is created successfully. Not sure if these warnings are errors or just warnings as mage says.

Warning MSB3112: Two or more assemblies have the same identity 'Microsoft.Practi

ces.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, ProcessorArchit

ecture=msil'.

The manifest is in the specified location. I don't edit it, it is exactly the one created by mage.exe. It appears to be correctly formatted. I compared it with another one created by VS, it seems to be fine (not identical though). The reason I use mage.exe is that I want to include in the deployment package files (not "data" files) that I don't want to reference in the Windows application.

I can provide more info (mage script, full error file etc) if needed.

Thanks.

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:50 PM

All replies

•  

I'm having the exact same problem with an application I am building. The funny thing is, after updating my application, adding a few .dll's that are needed in the new version of the app, this warning if shown for two assemblies that were included in previous versions of the app and that did NOT generate warnings when the manifests for the previous versions were generated using MageUI.

Monday, October 22, 2007 8:04 AM
  • I didn't have a solution to this problem yet. 

I posted this message 4 months ago (from June 22nd, 2007) and nobody at Microsoft bothered to answer.

I wonder how Visual Studio is doing it? Is VS using mage.exe behind the hood?

Regards,

M

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

I just add the following to the file in the root node and it works.

<compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
        <application>
        </application>
      </compatibility>  

Monday, March 25, 2019 6:07 AM
  • Can you give me more details about this. where to add the configuration?
    Monday, September 16, 2019 5:18 AM